Author: ronglimeng

Where did you learn these 'words'? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-4-10 07:14:48 |Display all floors
oh geez man.

We all make mistakes alright? I have been writing "wanna" as "wonna" for years, everyone I know besides you are ok with it, even my English teacher.

And the reach we use "wanna" (happy???) is because our attitude toward it. We treat this like a normal conversation between people. While you treat this as something important like a paper or something.

Go to an English forum, you will see all kinds of grammatical and spelling mistakes everywhere, because we dont care about it, if it can get the message across.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-10 12:45:48 |Display all floors
I guess it's also got to do with fitting into a group. One needs to "speak the language of the group" in order to not stick out as "different". This spoken language then gets transferred literally into the written form too, especially when someone is on a voice-cum-text chat.

So, where does this group pick up this language, then? From the movies? Or more likely, songs? I think it's the language of songs. The lyrics get written and printed that way too, and are widely available in China. Perhaps they imagine that that is how native American speakers really speak and write. So, they fondly believe that they are preparing themselves for life in the US by writing in this way.

"Pretty boy" may have quite a different connotation in the English-speaking world. But from the song, "pretty pretty boy" is just another expression in China for a handsome guy. How about "miss you much"? The song teaches you that too.

If one looks at the English generally used in chat rooms, "wanna" would probably come across as the least of the problems.

The problem is when someone uses it because he/she doesn't know any better. And also, he feels that somehow that makes him look "cool" when in fact he may come across as dumb or "desperate to belong". That's the impression a lot of non-native speakers sometimes give - desperate to belong - when they mouth idioms out of context, and even incorrectly.

I don't know about the "saving time" bit, because it would probably take me longer to type "wanna" or "wanna to" than to type "want to". I've frequently come across people writing "wanna to" and "gonna to". "I wanna to go". "I'm gonna to go". They've obviously completely lost the plot.

PJ, have a nice trip to China. I'm sure you'll like it there.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-10 13:13:50 |Display all floors

Sounds like your "English teacher" is not a native speaker either!

jonnyd your "English teacher" is doing you a disservice.
And I doubt your teacher is a real "English teacher".
Time for a new teacher.

changcheng is right.
"they imagine that that is how native American speakers really speak and write."
and
"that makes him look "cool" when in fact he may come across as dumb "

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-10 22:55:26 |Display all floors
I'm a native english speaker, and I do know proper english, but I don't always use it. For example, I'm not very good at typing, so I often don't capitalize some things because it might take a moment to look at the keys. I sometimes write "wanna" or "gonna", when I'm talking very casually and I WANT to give the impression that i'm in a casual mood. If I'm helping someone with english here, I write properly. But if it's a post that's just for fun and I want my post to read like I'd be talking, I sometimes spell things phonetically for effect.

I totally agree that it gets old when someone types like that ALL the time, and I'd hate to think some people don't know it's "wrong". But if they've had any english classes at all, they probably know "wanna" isn't a real word. I hope.
I am not rich.  :L

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-10 23:50:26 |Display all floors
Well freaky I'd like to think they know ""wanna" isn't a real word".
But given what jonnyd said, his "teacher" even taught "wonna" as acceptable.
Not sure what's being taught as "English" any more.

I understand what you mean by writing as if you were talking.
At one time it added flavor to communication but now it seems rampant.
I tend to catch myself now and I refrain from using it.

I have an added incentive.
The more time I spend here the more I need to curb the decline in my English skills

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-11 00:04:01 |Display all floors

bet your bottom RMB...

i'd really think people know the different 'tween 'em just as FREAKYQI put it...being casual.  for me to use that is just like i knowing you personally...i mean really no harm done whatsoever.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-11 00:22:19 |Display all floors

pjtran I'm sure you mean no harm.

It's just my opinion but I find it silly and dated.
Just as I find it silly when white suburbanites in the U.S. imitate black rappers.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.