Author: workout

How do you say 你赶时间吗? [Copy link] 中文

Medal of honor

Post time 2007-4-6 09:25:10 |Display all floors
Originally posted by workout at 2007-4-5 08:12 PM
but what if i perfer more possibilities to one or two so called correct translation?Let me give your an example. In one of my previous posts, I asked for the possible version of 老实点 and got one interesting answer "move along" and the replier told me this could happen in a prison. This is really enlightening to me. I don't think i can get such a novel answer if i set too much scenario limits in the original question.

I think if we treat this as a kind of linguistic game, and you mention this purpose very clearly at the beginning, then whoever is interested may participate by dreaming up all kinds of possibilities under creative and, hopefully, hilarious scenarios.  That could be fun, you know.  We sort of did that in the 沉鱼落雁 thread, didn't we?

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor

Post time 2007-4-6 09:29:03 |Display all floors
Originally posted by workout at 2007-4-5 08:24 PM
Hay, this is onlyhalf of that stroy, What is the Chinese version then

What's more, this is not a brainstorm case any way.

? ? ?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-6 09:30:46 |Display all floors

Yeah, we did.

and it's really fun

As for me, when i need a correct answer, i will put it clear in the original post, togeter with sufficient context.
When the purpose is brainstorm, i wont say too much about what kind of answer is encouraged and i will be happy to see everybody have fun.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-6 09:33:18 |Display all floors
Originally posted by jl2315 at 2007-4-6 09:29

? ? ?

The translation of warning signs is not a game or a brain strom. The translator should be entitled to all necessary context. When there's non, ask for it. Anyhow, that is not what happened in this post.

Still I don't know how did the Chinese version go terribly wrong. Show me.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-6 09:38:15 |Display all floors

Oh i finally spotted the tiny Chinese character amid a pile of colorful bottles.

However, this should be classified as a mis-tranlation, not a error made because of the lack of context. Any qualified translator should know that No means Not Permitted in signs.

[ Last edited by workout at 2007-4-6 09:40 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor

Post time 2007-4-6 10:05:02 |Display all floors
Originally posted by workout at 2007-4-5 08:33 PM

The translation of warning signs is not a game or a brain strom. The translator should be entitled to all necessary context. When there's non, ask for it. Anyhow, that is not what happened in this post.

No, it has nothing to do with your brainstorming.  I am just using it to illustrate how important context is in translation.

Originally posted by workout at 2007-4-5 08:33 PM
Still I don't know how did the Chinese version go terribly wrong. Show me.

I wish I knew!  I've been thinking about this from time to time, and I have made up a story of how this could have happened.  But I'll 卖个关子, and wait a little while to see what kinds of responses the sign gets.  -- Added later: There's a disconnect between you and me.  I didn't know that you hadn't noticed the 没有 yet.

[ Last edited by jl2315 at 2007-4-5 09:14 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor

Post time 2007-4-6 10:07:08 |Display all floors
Originally posted by workout at 2007-4-5 08:38 PM
However, this should be classified as a mis-tranlation, not a error made because of the lack of context. Any qualified translator should know that No means Not Permitted in signs.

What if the translator didn't even know that it was to be used on a sign?  How it is to be used is also part of the context, in a broader sense.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.