Author: copchen

语言的无用,文字的无力C -E [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-4-4 22:56:32 |Display all floors
Originally posted by copchen at 2007-4-4 16:04
我拿起笔,也是在为自己寻找继续生存的理由和力量,拯救我即将枯萎的心。而提笔的那一刻,才知道语言的无用,文字的无力。它们似乎永远无法叙述出一个人内心的爱与乐,苦与仇。

----继续摘录自《往事并不如烟》 ...

Try:
I took up the pen, hoping also to find myself the reason and vigor depending on which I could live on, and to save my heart that's withering.  However it was only until when  the pen was in my hand,  could I be aware of the usefulness of language and the incapability  of words. It seems to me they could never be capable of telling what're in one's deep heart, love and delight, bitterness and hatred.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-4 22:57:41 |Display all floors
Try:
I took up the pen, hoping also to find myself the reason and vigor depending on which I could live on, and to save my heart that's withering.  However it was only until when  the pen was in my hand,  could I be aware of the usefulness of language and the incapability  of words. It seems to me they could never be capable of telling what're in one's deep heart, love and delight, bitterness and hatred.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-4 23:04:35 |Display all floors
我拿起笔,也是在为自己寻找继续生存的理由和力量,拯救我即将枯萎的心。而提笔的那一刻,才知道语言的无用,文字的无力。它们似乎永远无法叙述出一个人内心的爱与乐,苦与仇。
I grabbed my pen, as if grabbing the straw that could lend me the strength and reasons necessary for living on, the straw that could rescue my withering soul. Not until the moment I grabbed my pen, did I realize that language is so wan, and words so pale, that they always seem to fall short in describing the joy and sorrow, love and hate of human.
If winter comes, can spring be frozen ahead?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-4 23:05:00 |Display all floors
I grabbed my pen, as if grabbing the straw that could lend me the strength and reasons necessary for carrying on my life, the straw that could rescue my withering soul. Not until the moment I grabbed my pen, did I realize that language is so wan, and words so pale, that they always seem to fall short in describing the joy and sorrow, love and hate of human.
If winter comes, can spring be frozen ahead?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-4 23:07:32 |Display all floors
Originally posted by househusband at 2007-4-4 23:05
I grabbed my pen, as if grabbing the straw that could lend me the strength and reasons necessary for carrying on my life, the straw that could rescue my withering soul. Not until the moment I grabb ...

I think the highlights are as follows:1.straw 2, so..that. 3. fall short

These expressions are familiar to and thus easy for readers to follow the idea of the writer.

[ Last edited by hly2008 at 2007-4-4 11:10 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-5 08:24:56 |Display all floors
Originally posted by hly2008 at 2007-4-4 23:07

I think the highlights are as follows:1.straw 2, so..that. 3. fall short

These expressions are familiar to and thus easy for readers to follow the idea of the writer.

:victory:

I couldn't agree more! The sentences are organized so well in hh's translation.
The other highlight is "Not until the moment I grabbed my pen, did I realize that language is so wan, and words so pale"

And dreamland's version is also good!

[ Last edited by copchen at 2007-4-5 08:31 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.