Views: 5613|Replies: 8

E-C: struck down in the pribe of libe [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-4-3 14:22:18 |Display all floors
Who knows the meaning of "Struck down in the pribe of libe", the actor's lines in "Friends"? Thanks.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-3 14:26:44 |Display all floors
Without knowing the context, purely on the basis of guess work, I would imagine that it must be

"Struck down in the prime of life"

(Which means die at a relatively young age)
Prime of life

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-3 14:34:41 |Display all floors
heh,

There is no such thing as Pribe of Libe. Why> first Pribe is not a word, second, libe is also not a word =p

Must be Prime of Life

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-3 14:41:55 |Display all floors
Could you provide us any information reguarding the season and episode?:)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-3 16:24:04 |Display all floors
I haven't found the words in the dictionary, but they are actually right.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-3 16:31:21 |Display all floors
Chandler: I know, let’s rest and drink lots of fluids. (Holds up a glass of orange juice.)

Monica: Okay, I’ll rest. But y’know if I’m going to bed, then you’re coming with me.

Chandler: That would be impossible to resist if you weren’t all drippy here. (Points to his nose.)

Monica: (wiping her nose) Are you saying that you don’t wanna get with this? (Tries to do a little sexy body rub, but it doesn’t work all that well with the big robe.)

Chandler: Yeah, I don’t you should say that even when you’re healthy.

Monica: (in a sexy voice) Come on. (Coughs loudly.)

Chandler: Don’t take this personally okay? It’s just that I just can’t have sex with a sick person.

Monica: I’m with you Chandler! I mean I can’t have sex with a sick person either, that’s disgusting! But I’m not sick! Let me prove it to you. We are two healthy people in the pribe of libe.

Chandler: That’s the thing, see I would like to stay in the pribe of mwha-ah-libe.
[Scene: Monica and Chandler's, Monica is still sick and is hobbling out into the living room for some help from Chandler who’s on the couch reading.]

Monica: (entering) Chandler, I think I’m sick.

Chandler: Really? Struck down in the pribe of libe!

Monica: Okay, fine I admit it! I feel terrible! Would you please rub this on my chest? (She hands him some of that Vicks Vap-O-Rub to put on.)

Chandler: No-no-no-no-no-no-no, you are not getting me this way.

Monica: Come on! I really need your help!

Chandler: No-no-no-no-no!

Monica: Fine, I’ll rub it on myself.

Chandler: Okay.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-3 17:36:16 |Display all floors
Hi:
Waibeijing is right, here "pribe of libe" is a mispronunciation. It is "prime of life" or "正当壮年' in Chinese?

"struck down in the prime of life" is a common expression meaning"someone is brought down at the peak of his power/career"
按本上下文,试译"正当壮年身体就不行了?" 但实际上 Chandler不是问问题,而是借用Monica先前的一个读错的词( pribe of libe)将错就错的再套入一句俗语中.这里暂不知如何翻译

[ Last edited by hly2008 at 2007-4-3 05:40 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.