Author: changabula

Chinese Philosophy, Thoughts and Wisdom [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-4-1 10:58:39 |Display all floors
Doesn't eyeofthestorm's posts astound the mind with their underlying disregard for cultural achievements?  The only thing he ever argues is "Confucius was a moron, MengZhi was a moron, ShiHuangDi was a moron, and I hate Chinese Racists too."
"When I am White, I win because I'm White.  When I'm Black, I win because I am Bogoljubow."

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-1 19:42:14 |Display all floors
Originally posted by eyeofstorm at 2007-4-1 09:27
Confucius pretty much said 'Shut the hell up and do as you're told'. This has produced a race of hard-working, diligent and no question asked people (the strict heiarchy system which does not promo ...

eyeofstorm:

A gentleman can see a question from all sides without bias. The small man is biased and can see a question only from one side.

- Confucius, Analects, c.400 b.c.

[ Last edited by changabula at 2007-4-1 07:43 PM ]
I am Chinese and Proud of it!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-1 19:51:45 |Display all floors
Originally posted by socrateets at 2007-4-1 07:53
i prefer Mozi for encouraging analyticial thought as opposed to rigid conformity to the conventions of humanity that confucious encouraged

socrateets:

The way to do is to be.

- Confucius, Analects, c.400 b.c

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-1 20:15:32 |Display all floors
What I find amazing is how Chang here can think both Mao and Confucius had a positive effect on modern China at the same time. An example of cognitive dissonance if there ever was one.

[ Last edited by irishinuk at 2007-4-1 08:22 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-1 21:27:17 |Display all floors

yin yang

My taiji teacher explained a way to use the taiji yin-yang philosophy in everyday life:

If you have a disagreement with someone, don't both be yang (yelling, arguing) or both be yin (silent treatment, avoidance). Instead, one person should be moderately yang, telling his part while the other is yin, listening (truly listening to understand their point of view). Then the Yin should be yang and tell her side while Yang becomes yin and listens.
Rinse, repeat.

If both are yin or yang at the same time, you will not solve the problem.
I am not rich.  :L

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-2 00:26:45 |Display all floors
Originally posted by irishinuk at 2007-4-1 20:15
What I find amazing is how Chang here can think both Mao and Confucius had a positive effect on modern China at the same time. An example of cognitive dissonance if there ever was one.

irishinuk:

A fool despises good counsel, but a wise man takes it to heart.
-- Confucius

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-2 11:57:43 |Display all floors
I think most of Confucius's thoughts were about doctrines, standards, criterion...Mencius follows confucius but he's just a bit more of an idealist and...more caring for civilians and people
but lao zi and zhuang zi are really different....lao zi's thoughts about the world and government seems so "alternative" but you find it reasonable...like lao zi's dao de jing or Tao Te Ching, chapter five(err I won't bother finding out the english version)...at first I don't understand....is being unkind a virtue...but then I read and think...this is "nature", that's how the universe like, from the origin there's no such emotions human nature, no such restrictions made by men and that's how nature treats every creature, fairly and "emotionlessly".
And I enjoyed reading Zhuang zi...I love his freedom of mind---he's not restricted in doctrine, he's always so curious and full of questions, when his mind wandering I felt it's like opening many hiden doors on a wall that I never think of before....as for how he sees the world and human-being, he's against unnatural human nature, that is reining people into the way(which the saint and the wise wishes), instead of people taking care of themselves.
He sees the world with curious eyes and rich imagination, and logic. His defination about greatness vital and trifle...what is "success" and "useful" is really something, that a pushy society could not achieve....when you succeeded, sucessful as the worldly standard...where's real goal of your own heart and soul?
Just briefly how I think about zhuangzi...=D
You could find a fantastic world in his thoughts, sometimes your mind can't help being trapped and couldn't get out, so it's there exploring in a world of immensity
that's really enjoyable!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.