Views: 3213|Replies: 3

McDonald's, KFC under fire for labor rights violations [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-3-30 15:14:36 |Display all floors
Four-yuan Scheme

What can a part-time Chinese employee of McDonald's afford by his hourly pay?
Only two small ice creams, which are valued at four yuan (US50cents).

American fast-food giants McDonald's and Kentucky Fried Chicken (KFC) are being bombarded for their work contracts which offer their part-time Chinese employees just four yuan per hour, well under the state requirement, state media reported.

An employee is entitled to no less than 4.3 yuan per work hour, said a rule released by the Guangzhou city government last November. The hourly pay averages 7.5 yuan in the city.

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2007-03/28/content_838718.htm
xin_370304281733093183793.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-30 15:39:05 |Display all floors
Just read about it few hours ago in a blog.

Surely, foreign companies are here to exploit the people for profits. Otherwise, why would they come in droves?

But I'm particularly more concerned about the perception Chinese people get from this issue. Will they become more distrustful of foreign brands? I checked on the internet and found an article on Asia Times which shows statistics of growing mistrusts on foreign brands.

Apart from the exploitation issue, what has the Chinese people, especially the entrepreneurs, have learned from foreign enterprise? Have they got the knowledge of how foreigners manage their business and how they turn it into a global brand?

To start a business may be easy. But to manage a big business, the corporate or an enterprise requires experience. There are not many Chinese brands or big corporates in the world. Even for overseas Chinese.

One of they key lies in managing the staff. Many are facing the problem of wasting too much time on turnover issues. If talented and potential staff runs away from the company, the management will have to address that issue until they found suitable ones but it takes quite a long time. There is also the problem of office politics. Thus, rendering the company less efficient.

There are many factors but I hope Chinese companies will one day be as successful as the Americans, Japanese and Europeans.
xurfnet.blogspot.com

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-30 16:36:58 |Display all floors
I know that many McDonald's franchises include food as part of the pay package. Maybe McDonald's in China offered some free food to it's part-time employees, bringing up the value of the pay.

I still think 4.3 yuan per hour is obscene.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-30 23:51:37 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.