Author: ruotong

Are you still eager to learn English without CETs? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-3-29 17:58:11 |Display all floors
To learn is to Use .

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-1 09:00:09 |Display all floors
I guess the question is not whether we need a test, but what kind of test we need to adopt. A test has its purpose. If the test fulfills its mission, it is a good test. Test of Spoken English can examine a person's ability to speak. A Writing Test can test, well, the ability to write. A major issue is that some tests tend to overdo it. CETs tend to include some weird grammar questions in it, just to make it hard :) This is totally unnecessary. We need tests that can really determine if a student can solve practical problems in their future jobs. If they are preparing this kind of tests, it is definitely not a waste of time.
I like to be here, to be with you, to sense your presence all the time.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-1 10:03:29 |Display all floors

I have words to say.

What you say maybe is right in a sense, from my experience,   I have passed CET 6 very earlier in college, but now I cannt fluently  express myself in English. As a measurement, the test is a better way to estimate what  degree you have mastered on English language,  which includes various aspcets of the language, and if your objective is to coversate orally with others in English, you certainly spent more time on spoken English exercise. Actually  what I mean is we shouldnt accuse CETs of wrong direction, or wrong content.
Maybe my opinion is similar to one of the above.

[ Last edited by ahoren at 2007-4-1 10:07 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-2 11:41:27 |Display all floors

Change the current policy.

If you want to read an enlightened approach, the Interministerial decree of April 29/October 5, 1993 of the Ministry of Public Instruction of Italy, available on-line and translated into English, is available at the following link:

http://www.internacialingvo.org/public/study.pdf

One possible solution might be for teachers and students to start a letter-writing campaing nation-wide to your leaders pleading with them to bring the current foreign language education policy to current international levels.

In the Italian model, students are free to choose their second language, with great emphasis on openness to the world rather than a worldview circumstribed to a single country or handful thereof (the US, the UK, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and Ireland in the case of English). Just ask your students where they'd choose to go if they could go abroad. I can guarantee that 90% will choose one of these 7 countries out of the hundreds from whch they could choose. It just goes to show how small their world really is with compulsory English instruction. In the Italian model, students are encouraged to look to a wider horizon that just a small handful of countries.
四海之内皆兄弟
-孔子

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-2 11:44:33 |Display all floors

As for foreign language instruction being compulsory...

In high primary and middle school yes, but with a choice of foreign languages (not necessarily English). But university is a time for specialization. English is just too difficult for it to be a general subject, and that's why many university graduates end up forgetting their Engglish if it's not their major. Waste of time. After all, if all Chinese went to an English-speaking country, it would be time for us to learn Chinese, not the other way around.
四海之内皆兄弟
-孔子

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-2 17:02:49 |Display all floors
Thanks,  Tianyuanedu.
I like the link you provide. it is an interesting article. Thanks.

Thanks, dear Watertree. Test is no good or bad to some extent but who proposes the test counts much more, right?

Thanks, ahoren,  for sharing your experience.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-3 12:35:38 |Display all floors

Ruotong...

I'd be curiousto know your ideas on this decree once you should have finished reading it. It would be interesting to compare this decree with current Chinese olicy from a Chinese teacher's perspective.
四海之内皆兄弟
-孔子

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.