Views: 7343|Replies: 10

water is life [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-3-27 11:11:41 |Display all floors
i did some online research on the drinkability of tap water in shenzhen and it just gave me a general statement saying that tap water in china is not safe to drink. not too much info yet lot of companies offering filtering systems

some of my neighbors tells me they use it (from the kitchen sink) to cook and drink

im sure you can boil it to be safe but do any of you just drink it straight without boiling?

curious
"It ain't no thang but a chicken wing."

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-4 22:14:25 |Display all floors
Never suspect to the quality of tap water,because in my mind, we are urban residents, our tap water should not as bad as that in rural area. Is that true?
What kind of unsafe it is in?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-4 22:57:29 |Display all floors

beijing water...

janezhang - actually it could be opposite. I know someone (chinese) who said he does NOT drink the tap water in Beijing because it's unhealthy but he does drink it when he visits his family in a rural area. The rural area has little pollution and their water comes from wells, underground.

We foreigners are told not to drink any water in china (and a lot of other countries) because it is cleaned differently from water in the west. It could give us diarrhea & stomach problems. I don't drink it or cook with it, but I have consumed very small quantities with no effect. For example, I wash my vegetables & fruit in it, wash a cup with it then use it still wet, brush my teeth with it (a few times I swallowed some water by accident).

i-smuggle - To what extent do you use the water there now? I don't remember if I know what country you grew up in, but if it was a western country with very clean water, our bodies are not used to it and we shouldn't use it as freely as our chinese friends might.

Boiling kills the stuff (mostly giardia?) that could make you sick, so that's good enough for short term use, but there can still be chemicals. Boiling does not get rid of metals & some chemicals & stuff, it only kills living stuff. (I just used the word 'stuff' way too many times) Chlorine (which I don't think is a problem here) can disappear if you let the water sit out uncovered... and stuff. In the US sometimes water has too much chlorine and stuff in it. We're supposed to let the water sit out for a day and stuff if we're going to put our pet fish and stuff in it . My daddy taught me that.
I am not rich.  :L

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-5 01:03:44 |Display all floors
thanks guys ^L^

im from los angeles and ive stop drinking tap water back home many many years ago due to the reasons youve mentioned above

oh yeah, im very aware of the risk in bacteria, chlorine, and harmful metals...

perhaps, the water in sz isnt so polluted since the city is only less than 30 years? and therefore the underground pipes arent as corroded compared to other older cities in china? im just guessing here

i pay 25 rmb for my 5 gallon bottle... delivered to my apt. from the shop within the property and im suspicious as to how clean this is...

is there an internal local govt. agency that regulates water quality?

sorry for my paranoia yall.... hehe

its just that i drink about a gallon of water a day
"It ain't no thang but a chicken wing."

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-5 06:48:47 |Display all floors
Originally posted by freakyqi at 2007-4-4 22:57
janezhang - actually it could be opposite. I know someone (chinese) who said he does NOT drink the tap water in Beijing because it's unhealthy but he does drink it when he visits his family  ...

Freakyqi, It is really out of my imagination that any water in china seems dangerous, or not available. Anyway, we seldom drink water without filtering, I will be careful about it.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-5 07:02:43 |Display all floors
Originally posted by i_smuggle at 2007-4-5 01:03
thanks guys ^L^

im from los angeles and ive stop drinking tap water back home many many years ago due to the reasons youve mentioned above

oh yeah, im very aware of the risk in bacteria, chlo ...

I am from Xi'an, i dont know the true situation of water here, maybe it gets worse than bj,sz.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-5 11:11:59 |Display all floors
water pollution is a problem, yeah but how to best use the potable water is also a challenge~drinking water also needs a correct method~got this excerpt from somewhere

Most people know they should drink about eight cups of water (About 2000cc) per day. This amount of water provides your body with enough moisture, clears the gut and stomach as well as speeds up blood circulation. But what they overlook is the correct drinking method.

The best way to drink water is to drink one cup in a series of small swallows or mouthfuls. You shouldn't drink only when you are thirsty. ~

Learn to live the life in a healthy way~

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.