Author: zglobal

Chinese Politeness [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-3-24 08:24:09 |Display all floors
That is an interesting post from Zglobal.  Yes, we are indeed, polite people, at least majority of us are.  When many of us first went to a foreign land, none of us complained as much as some of the expats on this forum and on others in China.  We were tried very hard to fit in, not only learning the language, but the tradition, the food, and the local way of living.  Many of us even got ourselves foreign names in order to make it easier for the locals to pronounce.    We are following what our ancestors taught us:  入乡随俗which means as newcomers, we should learn to follow the tradition of locals.     

I came back few years ago, started to socialize in the expat circle and wish to provide some needed assistance.  But I was so shocked to hear all the impolite comments towards China and the mainland Chinese without slightest consideration for the special circumstances in China.  Some of the comments are much worse than what I occasionally get from the “foreign land” I have lived.  But this is my home land, but their foreign land.  I often feet like to scream to them: “As guests here, where are your damn manners?”   Somehow, I understood why China had to close its door in 1949.   With Mao’s Hunan temper, he wouldn’t be able to take any of the humiliation.  

Indeed, China is not perfect.  Thru wars and revolutions, our whole society has been turned upside down.  The new order will come, but will take time, so are the etiquette and traditions.   We were supposed to be well behaved people in the ancient societies.  Now we’re not.  We’re in the transition. Old and new, feudalism and communism and capitalism, urban and rural, rich and poor, east and west, it’s all so confusing to many people.    Laws are coming but slowly, so are to enforce them.

But the most important is not let history repeat, and don’t let China close its door again as in 1949.

[ Last edited by thetruthbut at 2007-3-24 10:28 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-24 10:23:19 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-24 15:03:00 |Display all floors

Seneca, You're Loosing It

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-24 17:39:32 |Display all floors
Originally posted by zglobal at 2007-3-23 18:24
Well I just had four people from the Chinese government come to my door to make sure I'm registered in China, check visa and passport etc.

What can I say?. Four more polite people you would never meet.

Glad to hear (and not particularly surprised) of your positive experience there, zglobal.
Actually a BBC news crew reported being "expelled" from a Chinese town recently (reporting a news story) and when the news crew left, they were waved goodbye by polite security/police officers.
I must say that all of the people of Chinese background I have dealt with in Australia have been also very polite and friendly too, but of course I am also polite and friendly and one often finds that one's own attitude is reciprocated.

I should also say that in my limited experience in Hong Kong that the people there was also equally friendly and polite.
Of course one cannot entirely escape rude people and a small number of mainland officials or business visitors to HK did appear to be rather uncouth or arrogant in their dealings with the locals, but these were in the minority.

And no, I do not apologise to Changabula. He might like to open his eyes first!
"他不是救星, 他是一个非常淘气男孩" - Monty Python

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-24 20:56:41 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-24 22:00:48 |Display all floors
Originally posted by zglobal at 2007-3-24 22:56
Haha I have just officially recalculated your pro-china posts  to 4%.
Well done.
Didn't hurt that much, did it?

Now do the calculations for Chunderama, Mangy and Northwest!
"他不是救星, 他是一个非常淘气男孩" - Monty Python

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-24 22:22:03 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.