Views: 6144|Replies: 16

How do American students view China? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-3-22 13:17:42 |Display all floors
I arrived in the United States on March 4 and started my reporting tour entitled "Wired for Change:  America's Millennial Generation" running through March 5-18.

There were other 11 reporters from Argentina, Brazil, Egypt, Nepal, Nigeria, Kazakhstan, Russia, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, Turkey and Vietnam together with me.

The trip is so exciting and informative to me that I have an opportunity to talk with American millennials face to face.

What strikes me most is American youths’ attitude toward China and their perspectives on China.

One American student told me that he ‘heard’ that China is not democratic as the U.S.. “Why?” I asked. The guy cannot make a definite answer and said he heard that from another guy.

It is not a debate on which country is much more democratic, the U.S. or China. The sticking point beneath our discussion is the distance between young people from the two powers to know about each other.

As it is known today, bilateral connections between China and America are turning out to be much more solid in the new century. But what media always cover is trade frictions or the currency issue. There are limited channels for the youths from the two countries to know about each other in-death.

During my trip in the United States, the news about China is so limited and one relevant story I read is about a Chinese guy who has tried to make pace for his NBA career.

One of China’s celebrities American students know is Yao Ming, who plays for Houston Rockets. And they know several Chinese guys who play for the country’s football league.

The places they are familiar with are China’s world-famous Great Wall and Forbidden City. What poor guys.

What I mentioned may not be new. But I have learned how serious the issue is. The problem is the same as that in China as Chinese students are facing with an increasing influx of American fashion, cartoons, and designed brands but with limited information about their U.S. counterparts.

What proves to be another example of limited understanding is that another guy asked me whether there is a Walmart store in China.

"Yes, there is and nearly all of giant supermarkets around the world have their branches in China," I replied.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-22 13:24:00 |Display all floors
I thought I read somewhere that many Americans do not know where Iraq is on the map. So, it's not surprising they don't know much about other countries like China.
xurfnet.blogspot.com

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-30 11:11:30 |Display all floors
Many Americans think China is very poor. So some films show old China are very popular  in America.
That day, we met occasionally.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-30 11:24:44 |Display all floors

Reply #3 vipsophia's post

China is also not very rich!

Green Dragon

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-30 11:34:59 |Display all floors
When i was a uni student, a US exchange student taught we English majors oral English. He said that he's not good at study, the only reason for him to go to university is because he got scholarship of playing golf. He was studying at Ohio University and when the uni provided an opportunity for students to study Chinese in China, only two students, including him, registered for the programme. So, they even didn't take an exam before they came to China. The reason to come to China, he said, is because that no one competed for the exchange programme. It'a a wonderful chance for a student like him who doesn't like study, to visit another country with the sponsorship.
I am a Beijing girl.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-31 01:46:29 |Display all floors
the majority of the people I know from my school thinks that if you are from China then you must be a communist

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-31 06:39:09 |Display all floors
and those people probably don't even know what communism really is

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.