Author: voice_cd

Can Buddha guarantee the pass of exams? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-3-20 15:14:26 |Display all floors

Not for me.

Prayer is a superstitious act.
Whatever the 'religion'.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-20 15:38:26 |Display all floors
I dont believe this . But I also wont persuade sb dont do that. In my opinion, it can give you spirtual support!
If I make some mistakes, I do appreciate someone who can correct me.PMP

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-21 10:27:31 |Display all floors
There is no actual god in Buddhism per se, the rite of praying i s merely to concentrate the mind, to harness it and to direct it, in a peaceful manner towards ones aim/s wishes.

To be sure an idol makes the process `warm` and provides a relationship, an external one leading ultimately to an internal one.

To know that oneself is connected and part of an inseparable greater whole that, one is working with creates a peace of mind, rather than just your simple ego, battling the ocean (e.g exam)by itself.
Tibet Buddhist Concequential school offers the most  scientific/philosophical approach too Buddhism.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-21 10:52:05 |Display all floors
It is true that nowardays we chinese do not usually believe gods , since we think
that we can manage everything as long as we make every effort to do it. They say, maoney is everything,maybe power ,  but do you think so ?  
Historically we know, that our ancient people did believe there was supernatural
power. Looking back to Taoism and our Mythology , we may get some ideas that
our ancient people did connected closely with nature , with deity . I think, religion helps to go back to ourself , our inner self, there we found something marvallous.
There is god or not , natural or supernatural , I think, from our own life experince , we may get the answer. As a result,  Buddha is a mystical stage, similarly with LaoZi's wuwei, a union with nature , with ourselves and with others. The western religion may be also have this aspect. Friends , do you think there is God ?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-21 10:56:18 |Display all floors
Originally posted by voice_cd at 2007-3-20 13:51
We cannot say that they are not hard-working, they have tried their best to attain a relatively good score. Yet, they may not solely trust their endeavor and have to look for other guarantees. Do you think they are ridiculous or you can understand them?

At least this religion taught compassion and the tranquility of mind. Even some of this led to superstitious act.

Compare it to the western church-driven political machine, justify even staged war, invasion and crusade in the name of their 'god'.
师夷长技以制夷

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-21 11:18:59 |Display all floors

"God bless A - mer-i-ca "

Can Buddha guarantee the pass of exams? A questiion like that is like asking Bill Clinton's reciting "god bless American" at the end of the state of the union address would save him from sinning with Monica. Chinese people's holding a burning incense doesn't differ much from American people's leaving a bible at Motel Six. It is more of a tradition than a devout religious belief. So don't make too big a deal out of this. During any NFL game, when the whole stadium was echoed with the sound of "God bless A - mer-i-ca My home sweet home," my guess is that most people are just thinking about their home sweet home. Their singing of  "God bless A - mer-i-ca" is as effective as those people in this photo holding incense in front of a buddha.

[ Last edited by dgateway at 2007-3-21 11:46 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-21 12:07:31 |Display all floors
Originally posted by dgateway at 2007-3-21 11:18
Can Buddha guarantee the pass of exams? A questiion like that is like asking Bill Clinton's reciting "god bless American" at the end of the state of the union address would save him from  ...

I agree.

It's only ceremonial act, own's effort is still most important factor.
师夷长技以制夷

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.