Author: desperado123

what would happen if U.S. forces pull out right now? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-3-21 21:45:35 |Display all floors
"Do you know how many centuries those people lived in peace with each other?
Someone said about 1400 years!"

I am afraid you are wrong, Chang. The viciousness of Shiite-Sunni sectarianism is well-known.

Do a bit of research on Imam Hussein, then get back to me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Husayn ibn Ali

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-21 21:45:49 |Display all floors
Originally posted by ufucui at 2007-3-21 14:57
im  nt a warlike .but i support the u.s.   
i think the world nations .need a head,and the u.s .is the very one.
   no nice words.no nice tone.we need progresses,all the world wide.
      i do ...

Are you still in kindergarten?
I am Chinese and Proud of it!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-21 21:52:53 |Display all floors
Originally posted by irishinuk at 2007-3-21 21:45
"Do you know how many centuries those people lived in peace with each other?
Someone said about 1400 years!"

I am afraid you are wrong, Chang. The viciousness of Shiite-Sunni sectaria ...

What a stupid link to give me!

Give a realistic one about what they were like in Iraq before the Americans bombed them back to the Middle Ages!

So according to your thinking, we need to go all the way back to the start of everything. That means:

The Scots, Irish and Welsh (as well as the Germans, French, Spanishs, China,... ) should vent their murderous rage on the English for problems caused long, long ago.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-21 22:02:16 |Display all floors
The difference is that the Sunni/Shiite schism has never healed. There is almost always somewhere in the Middle East involved in a Sunni-Shiite war.

In Iraq, tens of thousands of Shiites are believed to have been killed under the Sunni-dominated Ba'ath party rule during the 1960's and '70's. There was a Shi'ite uprising following the US defence of Kuwait in 1990, in which thousands died.

In Pakistan, 4,000 Sunnis and Shi'ites have died over the last few decades in a low-level sectarian war, often as a result of mosque bombings.

In Iran, thousands were tortured and killed by the SAVAK and today by the Islamic Revolutionary government.

In Saudi Arabia, Shi'itism is illegal: Sunni Islam is the only legal faith; Shi'ites claim to have been tortured at the hands of the religious police simply for being Shi'ites.

Al Qaeda is currently bombing Shi'ite mosques in Afghanistan.

etc.

[ Last edited by irishinuk at 2007-3-21 10:05 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-21 22:38:35 |Display all floors
Originally posted by irishinuk at 2007-3-21 22:02
The difference is that the Sunni/Shiite schism has never healed. There is almost always somewhere in the Middle East involved in a Sunni-Shiite war.

In Iraq, tens of thousands of Shiites are bel ...

Remove the notion that Arab societies are doomed to sectarianism and have been at war with each other since the year dot. Arab history is as complicated as European history and no less/more bloody. Remember WWII? Initially began as a European tribal war and then sucked in the rest of the world to devastating effects.

Secondly, Iraq will become a democratic but flawed state like most democracies, which is at peace with itself, but not under US occupation. End the occupation and allow the Iraqis to determine their own future. It is becoming more convincing than ever that the line: 'we can't leave otherwise they'll all murder each other in some form of collective suicide' is the latest lie in a long list.

There are even those, although not initially supporters of the war,  who later support it hoping that a bloody nose for the US/UK occupation may even be good for world peace and help pacify these two countries as the German/Japanese defeat in WWII helped pacify them.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-21 22:45:38 |Display all floors
The difference between the Muslim world and Europe is that Islam has never had an Enlightenment, i.e. there exists no seperation between civil and religious affairs in the region.

Indeed, the Muslim world *has* always been at war; Islam itself as an ideology has always mainly spread through war. Mohammed himself was a warrior who forcibly converted most of Arabia to Islam with the sword.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-22 04:47:45 |Display all floors

An Irish thing.

Paddy,

You have missed the boat , again. What went on between the Sunnis and the Shiites is none of the West's business. Why is it so impossible for the US to remove her interfering nose out of other people's affairs ? It is likely to continue for ages to come, whether the Yanks are there or not. It is happening now. With 150,000 GIs around they are already at each other's throat and what are these brave Yankees doing about it ? Zilch and less because there is NOTHING they  can do.

As I said, if the stubborn and stupid wish to keep their fingers on the hot plate to show they are " brave " who am I to say anything to the contrary ?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.