Views: 3544|Replies: 8

the hard way怎么翻? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-3-19 19:55:03 |Display all floors
"I get really angry," said John Kerry. "I heard about those four soldiers killed today and I say to myself, as someone who remembers going out on patrols that sort of had a huge question mark over them, what are we doing? What are these kids doing, going out there and finding an IED [improvised explosive device] the hard way?" 在这里翻成什么呢?我找不出词啊呵呵.谢谢!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-19 20:24:43 |Display all floors
Hi:

去那里碰地雷吗?

hard way 表示不是叫工兵去找,而是让士兵去踩.可能这里是说roadside bomb?

If you do something the hard way, you do it at all costs.大概含义是这样.

这里是讽刺(sarcasm)的说法,表示他认为到那里没有任何意义,难道是让士兵用生命去"找炸弹"

roadside bomb成为一大威胁

[ Last edited by hly2008 at 2007-3-19 08:28 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-19 20:44:31 |Display all floors
agree to the upstair,
do something in the hard way?---- that means you take high cost to do it!  

in your context, the officer was so angry with their stupid military action, i guess, "that kind of patrols" just   leave soldier in life dangerous possibility!

personal speaking!  :)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-19 21:17:08 |Display all floors
Thx!!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-19 21:34:32 |Display all floors
Excellent explanation by hly :)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-19 21:46:38 |Display all floors

no no no and please no...

i know i am late to rescue you, but i am here & that counts, right?  okay, you want to know the true depth meaning of the 'hard way"...means that no short cuts of what you going to accomplish, and ev'rything that you do is going to be conventional & by the BOOK, and nobody would give you a hand either.  and above all, you guys were great & thank you for coming, baibai!   j/k folks

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-19 21:55:01 |Display all floors
Originally posted by hly2008 at 2007-3-19 20:2

If you do something the hard way, you do it at all costs.

I'd like to make a humble amendment of your sentence if you don't mind. Would it sound better if I change it into:

If you do something the hard way, you do it at a cost higher than necessary/above the norm.

With this, I hope we can all get the meaning easily, just in case someone might get it the hard way.
If winter comes, can spring be frozen ahead?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.