Author: voice_cd

Who can help school kids? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-5-9 22:34:42 |Display all floors

Hate to be Machiavellian about it, but...

... the ends justify the means.

As much as play is nice, along with sleep and a good diet - it does not pay the bills later on in life.  China is not going to keep its manufacturing base forever (i.e. America, Europe, Mexico, etc.), so the Chinese population is going to need to keep there children in school to learn the knowledge and skill for tomorrows jobs.  Mind you, this is going to entail sleepless nights and painful testing days.

I know my father saw what was happening with the American Economy in the 1970's, and prodded my sister and I do the best we could in school.  Result: both of us have good paying jobs that can support us and our own families.

TraderVic
China's Eccentric 'Uncle Laowai' from Chicago, IL

http://blog.chinadaily.com.cn/home.php?mod=space&uid=135031&do=blog&view=me&from=space

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-5-10 06:14:10 |Display all floors
Originally posted by voice_cd at 19-3-2007 03:08
China Daily: In a 2005 survey of 2,500 schoolchildren in six cities, including Beijing and Shanghai, it was found that about 66 percent of primary school students and 77 percent of high school stud ...

Cutting down the amount of homework would be more effective. Fifteen mintues of real time is like "one second" of sleep-time.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-5-12 22:59:20 |Display all floors

student's burden

the burden of China's students will not be reduced unless ministry of education innovate the law of  examination for senior students.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-5-15 05:25:12 |Display all floors
Originally posted by voice_cd at 19-3-2007 03:08
In Shanghai's Luwan District, for example, primary and junior high school students now go to school 15 minutes later than they did previously.

Hmm, maybe it's surprising that I don't see that makes a difference.

Maybe a starting point is to ask:

What the normal school times are.
How much break time (including lunch) they get.
How much homework they have to do.

I think weekend teaching is too much every week, unless it's a short class.
"People are the water, the ruler is the boat; water can carry the boat, but it can also capsize it."

-- Li Shimin (2nd Tang Emperor, "Taizong")

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-5-15 09:26:09 |Display all floors
I can see primary school students now push a travelling case going to school. I was so surprised to see they have been loaded too much more burden than we did before.
During the years when I was in junior middle school, there were some "relieving the students' burden" program but it never went long because of the fierce competition to a good high school.
Chinese children are deprived of too much rights and joys to be a kid and parents can do little because of the educational system.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-5-15 14:01:22 |Display all floors

The detail in Henan

Originally posted by voice_cd at 2007-3-19 11:08
Textbooks are piled up at a middle school in Xinshao, Henan Province. Experts have suggested cutting school hours to give children more time for play and leisure.

But in Henan province,there are less university could be go,and the score is the highest  throughout a whole country.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-5-16 12:14:13 |Display all floors
Originally posted by voice_cd at 2007-3-19 11:08
China Daily: In a 2005 survey of 2,500 schoolchildren in six cities, including Beijing and Shanghai, it was found that about 66 percent of primary school students and 77 percent of high school stud ...

As a foreigner who came to China to teach middle school, I was horrified at the workload put on Chinese students.

At the school where I was teaching, the children lived on campus and were woken at 6.00 AM to wash and eat, then be out on parade by 7.00 AM for exercises before class. The school day continued until about 5.30 PM when the students could play sport for an hour or so before dinner, then back into the classrooms by 7.00 PM for three hours of supervised study, then off to bed at 10.00 PM with lights out at 11.00 PM.

So these kids were studying more or less 16 hours a day, with about 7 hours for sleeping. Many were falling asleep in the classrooms. Some of the more dedicated students were doing extra classes on the weekends as well.

The thing I came to understand was that there is a momentum in life that starts in primary school and ends in senior school, that decides whether you will be successful or not.

Many of the children I taught came from rural villages and failure meant having to go back to their village to grow rice or be a shop assistant. So the price of failure was very high.

For a lucky few, sucess meant being accepted to study at a major university in Beijing or Shanghai, and a chance for overseas postgraduate studies. Since returning to Australia, I realise that overseas postgraduate studies are, themselves, a ticket out of China.

Study the right course and get top marks and you will be offered permanent residency in the foreign country. This is not so good for China, is it?

So, while the price of success is so high and the price of failure is so high, even if schools say students don't have to study so long or do so much homework, they might still do it anyway.

An Tong Yi

PS: I should point out that Australian high school students mostly start their day around 8.30 AM and are finished school at 3.00 or 3.30 PM, with an hour for lunch. They get about 2-3 hours of homework per day.

[ Last edited by antongyi at 2007-5-16 12:15 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.