Author: freakyqi

survey about THIS chinese name [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-3-21 00:15:59 |Display all floors
Originally posted by oscarjiang at 2007-3-20 15:52
My friends name : 王毅欣
:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol
So it's ok.

Ha! So funny! So it is a real person's name after all! I feel better now. Is your friend a man?

Another point, I asked some people if they were to only HEAR it, not know the hanzi, does it still seem like a man's name and they said no, the sound alone sounds more female.

Thank you to the one who said it could mean "suspicion", I appreciate knowing that.

SuperK - About An.... It's strange to pick a surname of all parts, because that's always the part that has been handed down for generations, and changing it seems so very fake, and I feel like what business do I have choosing a surname with a history if I am not part of that history? .... but I feel An could really be my family name of all chinese surnames. Why? Ok, I'll tell you now. Because part of my name is Ann, and part of my mother's name was Ann, and her mother's first name was Anna, and my father's mother's name was Ann! So, I feel that the name Ann is more of a passed-down name than even my real surname. Ann was passed down on purpose, and if I ever had a girl I would somehow put An-something in her name. I feel like it's a name that my ancestors GAVE me, not just blindly like a surname, but passed down with intention, with love, like a gift. So in a way, I am keeping that part of my name. It's my name, and I feel like in ANY language, if there is a name that sounds like Ann, it's my name for real, not just similar or "sort-of sounds like" for convenience, but Ann/An/Anna was meant to be part of me in any language. I am re-naming myself using the most important part (to me). And of course, the meaning of An (peaceful) is wonderful, and it also suits my personality. I will often go out of my way to keep things peaceful between people.

So now you know why I chose 安. :)
I hope any chinese people whose surname is really An don't mind me borrowing it. Don't worry, I will use it with love and peace, I promise!
I am not rich.  :L

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-23 14:22:33 |Display all floors
wow...that's pretty cool! seems An is your fated chinese surname...and when "Ann" translated into chinese character it is exactly "安"!
I like it...peaceful :)

and that "suspicion"(疑心) cause of a partial tone(not so strong) ----疑心(yí xīn),  毅欣(yì xīn)
similar sounds...different tones...besides the surname is 安....in chinese...the statement--- to describe somebody "安+adj.+心" is somewhat a negative expression of "up to do something" so it might be negative...no...I'm exaggerating now I think this is too picky...no one would think of so much details

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-23 15:25:10 |Display all floors
Originally posted by superkylin at 2007-3-23 14:22
wow...that's pretty cool! seems An is your fated chinese surname...and when "Ann" translated into chinese character it is exactly "安"!
I like it...peaceful :)

and that &qu ...

i come across yixin as a male in our superstar contest this yr.
What's on your mind now........ooooooooooooooo la la....Kind Regards

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-23 15:27:11 |Display all floors
Originally posted by freakyqi at 2007-3-18 15:37
Please only answer if you are chinese or fluent in chinese and have heard a lot of chinese names.

Check as many boxes as you like, and please be honest.

Good name.

Its Chinese accent is similar with the "Anything".

Good!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-24 23:59:12 |Display all floors
Thanks SuperK, and everyone else.

It worries me a little bit that so many people say it looks like a man's name, but there are so many other reasons for me to like it.

Are THERE any other characters that could mean strong inside, or the idea that you keep coming back after being down repeatedly, like the western concept of a phoenix that rises from the ashes after it's been burned?
I am not rich.  :L

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-25 01:57:33 |Display all floors
nonsence ,to me......................
name makes it name itself..

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-4-2 11:24:48 |Display all floors

more ji xin

What's on your mind now........ooooooooooooooo la la....Kind Regards

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.