Author: changzhou007

Which one would you pick, a high paid tough job, or a low paid easy job? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-3-19 10:15:22 |Display all floors

high paid tough job

This is always my answer when asked about how to choose a job. Maybe it's because i'm still young, wishing to be busy all the time to realise my value. and also, decent salary is another reason for me to keep busy. Yes, perhaps I won't have time to expend money, but depositing cash to the bank account is a kind of joy, isn't it?
I am a Beijing girl.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-19 10:24:35 |Display all floors
Consulting jobs in multinationals demand a lot but it is wrong to think they pay a lot. They have levels; at the lowest entry level, they pay maybe about 10-30% more than non-mncs but their demand is quite high; while they give some training, the young consultants are thrown into the water to test their resolve.  If they get to the next level, they will become supervisor consultants; there the pressure piles up. If they survive and make it to manager level, they will start to lose sleep and hair; normally those who survive this stage will have acquired special skills - how to overcome jet-lag from travelling all over the place; how to tackle different clients with different requirements even if the problems to be solved are the same, how to work with impossible deadlines and lack of resources like the right staff....hundreds of small to big problems.  It is when they make partner or director that they can say they will be really earning a more rewarding compensation package; there will be some perks and prestige then, and they will become like role models - but they too will face pressure from sales quotas set, budgets to be met and practice people to be groomed and grown.  Within this swirl of a consulting organization, you will see how characters are moulded, and all sorts of human emotions come out trying to align to the company's policies etc.  After a while, you may become worn out and wonder why you're continuing.. that's the time to leave, move on, and perhaps start your own.

The best lesson - work for five years, and learn everything, observe everything, collect and save up everything, build your own resume using the multinational's contacts;  after that, if you're not going up, better go out and smell the real roses again, do your own thing.

A high paying job, whether in a consulting firm or an investment bank, is only as good as what you've learnt from them, how much you've saved from your pay, and how well you've kept your true character and health.  They should be used to build contacts and credentials. In the end, they only serve the interest of their own partners/directors/shareholders and headquarter interests.  That's why they pay and reward according to the particular country's level;  a local recruited will be paid only local rates even if doing the same job as a foreigner paid higher.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-19 10:35:11 |Display all floors
exactly I choose the high paid tough job.
firstly, I like challenge, and easy job isn't a challenge.
secondly, money is also a important factor.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-19 18:50:35 |Display all floors

of course a high paid job

Originally posted by blackbrown at 2007-3-19 10:35
exactly I choose the high paid tough job.
firstly, I like challenge, and easy job isn't a challenge.
secondly, money is also a important factor.

I am a newly married chinese living in Italy.This is the best timing to earn money.I have done  a lot of sacrifices in my life to have enough money.I have big dreams.I work very hard.I do not mind because I am very young I can work and become rich one day.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-19 19:07:57 |Display all floors
There is no such thing as a high paying tough job.

If the job really is high paying, then the company will hire assistants to help you. People who work to death aren't in high paying jobs, they are just middle level people.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-20 10:13:38 |Display all floors
Good to see more and more career women get on the bandwagon of challenging projects, I don't like all my teammates are guys.:)

Originally posted by polaris1120 at 2007-3-19 10:15
This is always my answer when asked about how to choose a job. Maybe it's because i'm still young, wishing to be busy all the time to realise my value. and also, decent salary is another reason for ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-20 10:17:11 |Display all floors
Thank you for your information, Mark,

If you could share more concrete examples or your own experience that would be icings on the cake.

Prestige and privilege those partners have sounded very tempting, holding a free golf club membership, having a lunch with the mayor of Shanghai, spending summer vacation on the Caribbean islands ...

Hmmm, no wonder many people keep on fighting for making a partner.

Originally posted by markwu at 2007-3-19 10:24
Consulting jobs in multinationals demand a lot but it is wrong to think they pay a lot. They have levels; at the lowest entry level, they pay maybe about 10-30% more than non-mncs but their demand  ...

[ Last edited by changzhou007 at 2007-3-20 11:52 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.