Author: sabby_0232

should we stick to our own chinese name , not common english name? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-3-21 11:08:33 |Display all floors
Originally posted by freakyqi at 2007-3-20 23:44

I'd rather call chinese people by their chinese names, especially if they only chose their english name randomly and don't really care about it. But a few chinese people I know have been using  ...

hi freaky....

ME: Hi, what's your name?
YOU: Chinese or English?
ME: which one do you prefer?(shouldn't be confusing for beginners?)

ME: Hello, what's your name?
YOU: Zhang Ziyi
ME: Hi zhang ziyi how're you...

Full name(surname plus given name), usually when you first meet/ or you're not too familiar with each other(and she might be surprised"oh she could remember my full name")...if you call her ziyi, it usually turn out to be her family, lover or someone very close...if you call her zhang like most peole would do
---some people call me by my surname only(firstly it's monosyllabic so doesn't sound clear and nice)...and there must be lots people with the name surname so which one he's calling?  me or my dad or my grandpa.....? but I'm getting used to it, it's better to ask for an english name..which I have to pick up a random one and it turns out strange...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-21 14:17:27 |Display all floors
Originally posted by superkylin at 2007-3-21 11:08

hi freaky....

Thanks for some obvious advice I should have known. I'll try harder to remember whole names. I forget names easily even in english, so I admit I don't remember them easily in chinese. And I thought of another idea..... Maybe I could say to them in chinese something like, "which do you prefer?", then they'll not only understand my question but know that I'm willing to speak some chinese and at least try to say their name right if they want me to use it.

The thing is, it's a little confusing to me, because in a class, I have a list of names in pinyin, and I need to check off their names when they come in. So I ask their name, and they either say an english name, a chinese name, or they ask me "chinese or english?" Or, very often I just show them the list and they point to it or mark it themselves, but I don't learn their names that way. So there are two parts to this. I do need their chinese name for attendance, but IF they have a nickname (chinese or english) that they'd like me to call them, I'd like to know that too.  Hmm....

It seems like this should be a simple affair.....

I guess the main problem lies in the fact that SOME people use english names and some don't, and of those who do, I don't know if they really like it or not, or if they're doing it because they were told to when they enrolled at the school (they are asked to choose one when they enroll).
Maybe when I have some new faces I can do a 5-10minute lesson on names. I could include the questions I ask, because they may be asked them in the future, and maybe I can get a better idea of who likes their english name and who'd rather not use one. In the process, I can list their names on the board! Then maybe I'll remember them!
I am not rich.  :L

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-21 14:25:09 |Display all floors
Originally posted by freakyqi at 3-16-2007 22:25
That's weird, I've never heard Sabby.  

I think i've heard this one, but so many strange names I heard it's unbelievable.  Every time I just tell myself, 'must've been some euro that gave 'em that name'.  

re: should we stick to our own chinese name , not common english name?

I'm not Chinese, but yeah, I think you should stick to your own name.  If a gringo asks your name, be it in your root country or your new country, just tell them they are probably too stupid to pronounce it correctly so you won't tell them.  Okay, you could also tell them your real name I guess, just don't get mad when it's not pronounced correctly the first 15 times.  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-21 14:28:27 |Display all floors
If someone isn't interested in investing a few moments of their time to pronounce your name correctly, then they obviously have little respect for you, so don't talk to them.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-21 14:37:10 |Display all floors
Originally posted by lovable at 2007-3-21 05:48

But sometimes I am just afraid that people call my chinese names only because they want to keep distance from me? Is it true?

No! No! In fact it's quite the opposite! If a foreigner is asking you to pronounce your chinese name for him/her and trying to say it, then they are either:
1 - wanting to feel closer to you by using your *real* name, or
2 - learning chinese and want to know how to say your name properly, maybe even asking what it means or something.

In either case, they are trying to get closer to you or chinese culture, so I'd suggest taking a moment to pronounce it slowly for them, telling them the tones, and the meaning if it is important to you. Then they may remember it easier and feel closer to you, or at least appreciate your little bit of language help (and patience).

The foreigner might also feel proud if they can say your name right (or close enough) and feel good that you are letting them use your real name, not putting out a fake one because you think they're too stupid to say your real one!!!
I am not rich.  :L

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-22 05:16:07 |Display all floors
Originally posted by freakyqi at 2007-3-21 14:17

Thanks for some obvious advice I should have known. I'll try harder to remember whole names. I forget names easily even in english, so I admit I don't remember them easily in chinese. And I tho ...

Freakyqi,

In the english classes I had attended before, the teacher used to take like 10 or 20 minutes or a class time to let us introduce ourselves. What is our chinese names, what is our english names, hobbies etc...,

Have you ever done that in your class?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-22 05:30:01 |Display all floors
Originally posted by freakyqi at 2007-3-21 14:37

No! No! In fact it's quite the opposite! If a foreigner is asking you to pronounce your chinese name for him/her and trying to say it, then they are either:
1 - wanting to feel closer to you b ...

I think you are right! Thank you! so what I will do is just to let my guard down and help a bit:)

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.