Author: sabby_0232

should we stick to our own chinese name , not common english name? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-3-20 23:44:22 |Display all floors
Originally posted by lovable at 2007-3-20 19:53
Funny as I found really that even some nonchinese people like calling their chinese friends by their chinese names. It looks like a lot easier for them to be with a real Chinese:)

I'd rather call chinese people by their chinese names, especially if they only chose their english name randomly and don't really care about it. But a few chinese people I know have been using their english names a long time and really like them. In that case I call them by it, or whatever they tell me to call them.

As a teacher, I don't make the students tell me an english name; I know some (especially older ones) are uncomfortable with it, so I just say "what should I call you" or something. Does anyone have a better way to ask a chinese person's name without meaning either english or chinese? I mean, I don't care which they tell me, just tell me what you want me to call you and I'll do my best? (that's too long of a sentence for beginners)

Even "what should I call you" or "tell me what I should call you" is confusing to beginners. They are only used to hearing "what's your name?"

Ok, chinese people, maybe you could help me! (please!) Continue these conversations for me according to what you'd like to hear if you were an absolute beginner:

ME: Hi, what's your name?
YOU: Chinese or English?
ME: ....... (I want to say 'whichever you'd rather have me call you' but it's too confusing for a beginner)

ME: Hello, what's your name?
YOU: Zhang Ziyi
ME:....... [ thinking, "do I call her all 3 of those names? Or the first one, or the last two? I need to ask what I should call her, not just for the attendance list, but if I call on her to answer a question later...]

I am not rich.  :L

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-21 03:13:21 |Display all floors
Ilove to call Chinese people by their chinese names..I   love to call my other half JIA WU! better than James..

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-21 04:27:28 |Display all floors

please allow me to introduce my...

i agree with freakyqi this time; eventhough we have some ups & downs...just joking, kiddo!  if you are not even sure how to address someone with their names just ASK & ASK.  it's hard sometime for me to remember who's who at the party...so, all i do is to introduce myself first & their turn to tell me who they are.  but never guess people name or even mispell or promounce their names.  so , did you get my name just now?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-21 05:48:32 |Display all floors
Originally posted by freakyqi at 2007-3-20 23:44

I'd rather call chinese people by their chinese names, especially if they only chose their english name randomly and don't really care about it. But a few chinese people I know have been using  ...

Freakyqi,

Can they understand"which one you like"?or "ALL FINE to me"?:)or "Whatever":)

In my turn I like leave this problem to others. If they like call me my Chinese name, then that will be fine. But sometimes I am just afraid that people call my chinese names only because they want to keep distance from me? Is it true?:)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-21 05:50:39 |Display all floors
Originally posted by qiwoman at 2007-3-21 03:13
Ilove to call Chinese people by their chinese names..I   love to call my other half JIA WU! better than James..

JIA WU? See this is a good example of a good chinese name!

Easy to remember and interesting!:)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-21 05:53:01 |Display all floors
Originally posted by pjtran at 2007-3-21 04:27
i agree with freakyqi this time; eventhough we have some ups & downs...just joking, kiddo!  if you are not even sure how to address someone with their names just ASK & ASK.  it's hard somet ...

I have never a fun of names, just faces...:)

I lost big because of that too

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-21 10:51:31 |Display all floors
haha, my ID name is just the double of my family name.
My English name is only for office.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.