Views: 3517|Replies: 2

关于Chinaman一词引起的纠纷 [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-3-15 20:19:37 |Display all floors
美国有线电视网(CNN)创始人特纳昨天发表书面声明,就自己错误使用“中国佬”(Chinaman)一词道歉,表示自己的口误是无心之错,绝无贬低华人的意味。

特纳在声明中说:“我对于上周四在湾区接受采访时的发言表示深深的遗憾。大家都知道,我不相信任何形式的偏见和歧视。我也不了解‘中国佬’这个词对亚太裔社区有贬低和伤害的意味,我对所有文化都有最深的尊重,也竭尽全力让这个多元化的国家和世界能更和平一致。对于因为我的言论导致苦痛的人,请接受我的致歉。我的本意并非要冒犯或者对任何人不敬。”

全文见:http://www.enet.com.cn/article/2007/0315/A20070315484946.shtml

Chinaman一词,相当于“中国佬”吗?用它,就一定是对华人的贬低吗?我对这个词不大了解,谁能解释得更清楚一些?

[ Last edited by copchen at 2007-3-15 08:22 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-15 22:04:59 |Display all floors
I think its derogatory sense can be traced back to a time in American history.  It was used at a time when Chinese people had low social status, just like some offensive terms used on black people in the past.

btw: I think it's more important for us to look up to ourselves. Some people feel a sense of inferiority in front of foreigners. I've seen this with my own eyes. Today, when I saw some youngsters playing the World Of Warcraft online, they didn't want to reveal that they are Chinese when asked by foreign players from other countries.  I hope they are only ones of the miniory.

[ Last edited by hly2008 at 2007-3-15 10:16 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-15 22:37:45 |Display all floors
But sometimes I just can help feeling ... small in front of some westners. Don't get me wrong, I love my country and will undoubtedly fight for my dignity if necessary. It's just.... you know, in some cases, self-esteem is one story, being dwarfed is another... I work with a lot of foreigners day in and day out. Some of them graduated from some really prestigous university like Harvard, like Waton...which I don't even dare to dream about. And They don't look smarter than me. I mean, I was a good student, graduated from a "good" Chinese university (which looks a lot more humble in those westners eyes). I'm better than most of my peers. I often think, if I was born in USA, I probably have a good chance for those fancy colleges. Now I can only admire.
And their life! Are millions times more fun than mine! They travel, to see the world, as they often put it. I remember once, an English friend told me he didn't realize that traveling around world is not a right granted to everyone in this world until very late. For most westners, it's really hard to imagine how many restrictions we face financially and politically.
And their attitude toward life! they never save, tthey party every night, they've had so many life-inriching relationships without wprrying about so many things that we have in mind every day. They can never understand why we Chinese worry so much. They live in their care-free world. I wish I could be born in a developed world!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.