Author: northkin

Strangest 'English' name of a Chinese person [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-3-16 13:25:54 |Display all floors
Originally posted by mira_mio at 2007-3-16 10:26
It's beautiful and charming, but not from an English speaking mouth.............>_<
mira isn't that odd, is it?

Somehow, I like Miranda better, it sounds sweet and enchanting.:)

Don't worried, my name is not Ferdinand.

I do like a few lines from Tempest

How many goodly creatures are there here
How beauteous mankind is! O brave new world

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-16 14:18:49 |Display all floors
two of my colleagues -one is Shiny and one is Bridge! and I like neither. and also I know some girls name themselve Yuki,Coco... they are ugly names to me either.I also know 3 Jenny-s (It  is  a popular name ) there are lots of chinese people having trouble finding themselves a good English name. if you cant find an english name, then i guess a nice German or spanish name will do .
I would say why do we have to have an English name.? lol

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-16 18:35:26 |Display all floors
I am very pleased with myself as so many people told me that my chinese name is beautiful. Well I know they are very nice people therewho just want to make my day.The spelling of my chinese name  is exactly the same as the english word related to a kind of weather in winter. And the pronounciation is almost the same so it's not difficult for them to say at all. They just keep confusing my name with another similar chinese name.

But the same thing also happens to me, I keep calling a colleague "Gabbie" but her name is 'Debbie' and turn around to call 'Debbie' as 'Gabbie'. I am embarrased cos I know these two are very different and I can remember their faces very well but when I open my mouth... oh man...

Use magic tools Report

bossel has been deleted
Post time 2007-3-17 10:14:42 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-17 11:58:17 |Display all floors
Originally posted by jessme at 2007-3-16 18:35
I am very pleased with myself as so many people told me that my chinese name is beautiful. Well I know they are very nice people therewho just want to make my day.The spelling of my chinese name  i ...

Yes, the same with me. they all like  my Chinese name and its also quite easy for them to say!

:)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-17 13:49:53 |Display all floors
I have a student named, Carbohydrate.

I also have one named, American Beauty.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-17 14:25:27 |Display all floors

Comparing the foreigners Chinese name, it is not so strange ...

From my point of view, the name is only a symbol, which is easy for other ppl to identify you. Most of Chinese ppl having English name is in term of the requirements of the work, so are the foreigners owning a Chinese name. Definetely I admit that a lot of Chinese ppl have a lot of strange Eng names, one of my friends told me that it is easy for his foreigner boss to remember him coz he has a strange Eng name. From this view, you foreigners may understand. Contrarily, sometimes when I heard the some foreigner Chinese name, it is quite funny name to Chinese ppl, but I think it is reasonalbe for him!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.