Author: northkin

Strangest 'English' name of a Chinese person [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-3-16 10:25:56 |Display all floors
So the next time I'm in China and a Chinese person can't pronounce my name, I should ask, "How come you are so dumb you can't even say my name right?" There are simply some sounds in languages that don't exist in others. I know my name is hard for native Chinese speakers to pronounce sometimes, so I have a Chinese name. I tend to introduce myself with both names and let them choose from there.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-16 10:26:21 |Display all floors
It's beautiful and charming, but not from an English speaking mouth.............>_<

mira isn't that odd, is it?
dead

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-16 10:28:06 |Display all floors

to #19

"Lavender" is not an unheard-of English name. There's a character in "Harry Potter" named Lavender.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-16 10:32:46 |Display all floors
Harry Potter is fiction.  I've heard of Lavender as a name in another movie.  Anything could be an English name.  I might name my first born Sockmonkey!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-16 10:34:36 |Display all floors
Originally posted by changzhou007 at 2007-3-16 10:17
Odd and queer and weird? Oh, no, no, no.

Why not simply keep your Chinese names? And challenging those laowai, "How come you are so dumb, even can not say my name right!?"

Haha, I like it!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-16 11:17:12 |Display all floors
Originally posted by sockmonkey at 2007-3-16 10:28
"Lavender" is not an unheard-of English name. There's a character in "Harry Potter" named Lavender.

I agree, the name is in a fiction novel however, I have never met a person named Lavender.  

I think a lot of Asians pick names out of novels or tv that they seem to like the definition of that word or think it's cool.  

I'm not saying that Lavender isn't a nice name but it's just an odd one.   Just like it would be odd to call a Chinese person Shaquille or Mariska. WTF?? It just doesn't make any sense.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-16 12:17:51 |Display all floors

Simple comments

are all I have on this

I also think it is a bit odd that Chinese girls give themselves English names but if they have to thn they should follow the rules to find a nice one:

1. Don't pick names that make you sound like a prostitute (or "easy" girl) to westerners - it may lead to a nasty misunderstanding! So no Roxanne, Cindy, Barbie, Joy, Sunshine, Emmanuelle etc

2. Don't pick old fashioned names like Emily, Joan, Elisa, Betty etc - they don't fit with a teenage girl!

3. Avoid potentially pretentious names like Amelia, Persephone, Julliet :)

4. Know that Josephine, Marie, Eleanor, Nicole, Sylvie etc are French names not standard English (sometimes some English people will not know how to spell or say such "English" names)

5. Finally, know that you are using a FALSE name, so an English person - like me for example - is not going to trust you 100% until you give your name!

:)
"We know it's weakness, but the weakness is so strong!"

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.