Author: northkin

Strangest 'English' name of a Chinese person [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-3-15 17:20:46 |Display all floors
Originally posted by northkin at 2007-3-15 11:04
I have met many Chinese who adopted odd English names.  Some of the interesting ones are Apple (uncommon) and Angel (only one that I know of so far)

The shockers I have met are;   

Killmux
Cha ...

Well, one of the girls from Uni named herself  Golden -flower !!
anyhow, I dont see many people with very good English name.
I do not use an English name at all. Everyone find it so interesting to call my Chinese name -Xiao Xiao (As its catchy and funny to them) ..and I think actually  it is  a proud thing when those foreigner call your Chinese name, as its given by your parents the moment you were born!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-15 19:02:51 |Display all floors
Originally posted by xiaoxiao1982 at 2007-3-15 17:20

I do not use an English name at all. Everyone find it so int ...

I agree with you, xiao xiao. why must we have an english name. There are only two chinese who never make english names in our unit (including me) and people constantly get confused keep calling us wrong cos our names are very similar. I always told my colleagues it's a good chance for them to learn a little bit chinese

I met a student named himself "Yellow" many years ago in the city's english corner. He was from Shanxi and he said he admired yellow river and the earth so much that he used that name. (look around) hopefully he's not here.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-15 19:47:58 |Display all floors
Until a year ago I didn't know it is common in China to use an English name. It's a good way to make a name more easy to remember for someone who doesn't understand Chinese, but if you prefer to use your normal Chinese name then that's fine as well. When someone introduces himself to me with a name in a foreign language, then I just try to remember what it sounds like and usually it's no problem.

In America and Europe most people have a name which has no meaning, it's just a sound (like John or Anne are not words, they have no meaning). Sometimes these names used to mean something long ago, but the meaning is forgotten. Like "Myrth" is a word that means "happiness" in old-germanic (an old language that went extinct almost 2000 years ago), and "Myrthe" is a girlsname in the Netherlands. But most girls who have this name have no idea what it means When I go abroad I usually make my name a bit more simple, so it's easier to pronounce. My first name (not family name) is "Jan-Jelle", but I just say "Jan".

But you can choose which name you like most for yourself, in Chinese or in another language, and foreigners will accept it and try to remember it :)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-15 22:06:43 |Display all floors
As a foreigner learning chinese I like to try to call people by their real names. Sometimes I will need to hear it a few times, or have them tell me the tones so I say it right, but I'd like to try to call them by their chinese name.

Just today in a class I asked someone his name and he said.... well I won't say it here but I didn't hear the tones, so I asked him to repeat it, I still didn't catch the tones. So I made a joke of myself and said "When you tell your name to a foreigner you have to show us the tones like this" and I made big arm movements in the air as I said his first syllable with all four tones... they all laughed and he showed me the tones with his finger in the air and I finally said it right and probably will always remember it now! And they know I'm a good sport and trying to learn.

If the foreigner doesn't even know there are tones, they will never say your name right. If they are trying to learn chinese, even at a baby level, take a moment to tell them the tones and repeat it a few times for them, and they will probably be really happy to be learning a chinese name, and be glad you are trusting them to say it right; not giving up on them and saying "forget it just call me bob". If they're learning chinese, correct them on your name any time, they are students and want to learn!
I am not rich.  :L

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-15 23:00:51 |Display all floors
I have heard of Asians with the names of Pinky, King, Rain, Lavender, etc.

I think there are essentially two reasons Asians pick an English name rather than keeping their own:

1) They think it's cool.

2) They don't want to go through the painful ordeal of having foreigners butcher their names.

I actually still use my Chinese name even though I have a legal English name.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-16 10:06:47 |Display all floors

english name....

in my english course,some of  classmates' name are susan,sandy,lily,lisa,jody,wendy. but there is no meaning for them just a sign for the foreign teacher to remember them easy.  but there are some funny things in the course,because the foreign teacher often does't match the english name to the people. he often call lily but look at lisa...............

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-16 10:17:46 |Display all floors
Odd and queer and weird? Oh, no, no, no.

It makes perfect sense to me. You see, names like John, Paul, Tom, Nancy, etc. are religious names, precisely, Christian names. We, Chinese, are not Christian. Why do we need those religious names?

Names like, sun, rain, wind, sea, star …
Or, lily, iris, rose, violet, lotus …
Or, jay, robin, nightingale, hummingbird, owl, eagle …

Sound wonderful to me.

Why not simply keep your Chinese names? And challenging those laowai, "How come you are so dumb, even can not say my name right!?"

Oh, your Chinese name is beautiful and charming and attractive. Why not keep it?

Originally posted by northkin at 2007-3-15 11:04
Strangest 'English' name of a Chinese person ...

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.