Author: northkin

Strangest 'English' name of a Chinese person [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-3-15 13:31:12 |Display all floors
Fantasia... is one I have heard... valid name I guess, but the only time have heard it in the past it was associated with strippers.

One girl saw the names April, May and June and assumed that all months of the year were valid name sin north america and adopt October as her name.

A guy I work out with uses Army as his first name.. again, valid I guess, but not to common. Great guy though.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-15 13:42:53 |Display all floors
I was talking last night with a chinese person about names. I can't speak for other countries (though I assume this is similar in other English speaking countries) but in the US different names are popular at different times. MOst people with MY name are probably around  my age, because at the time I was born a lot of people thought my name was pretty. The name Martha will probably mostly be found on older women, because it was a popular name long ago. The name Ashley was very popular in the 1990's, so you will not find old ladies or even my age with that name, you will find teenagers with that name.

SO if you are 20 YEARS OLD NOW, it might sound strange to native english speakers if you have the name Agatha. It will sound like "an old lady name".

If you want to know what names were popular when YOU were born, and choose one that suits your age, look here:
  http://babynamewizard.com/namevoyager/lnv0105.html  

It's a fun and interesting site! You can mouse over the graph or type in a certain name to see how popular it was and at what time.

(type in Brian and you'll see the chart spike int he 70's and it will say it was #8 at that time. A lot of guys my age are named Brian, I went to school with a lot of kids with that name)

[ Last edited by freakyqi at 2007-3-15 02:13 PM ]
I am not rich.  :L

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-15 13:50:23 |Display all floors
there is a guy who on his business card says Mr. Dragon Wang.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-15 15:08:36 |Display all floors
Fuka is one friend of mine, though obviously lots of locals don't know what's hidden in that name, they normal see it like Fu,(second tone) Ka(third tone) in Chinese. you know, he is really a brilliant FUKA! my question is does it offend ppl from english speaking countries?
obviously, he's doing it for fun & being different

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-15 15:10:07 |Display all floors
I had and Apple, a Banana, a Sissy, a Maple, a Clark Kent, a Blue, Red, and a Green, Birdie, Pigeon, Hatey, and many others but hey good on them, and they were all great people. I think of them often.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-15 16:20:39 |Display all floors

my colleagues' english name

One of my colleague's first name is Hu, so his English name is Tiger, well another colleague sings very well, he always control the microphone at KTV, so his English name is Andy Lau, also Andy Lau is his icon

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-15 16:29:56 |Display all floors

How about Duane?

One of my classmates once give himself this name...And it's a REALLY ENGLISH NAME. You can find some people named after it in Wiki.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.