Author: changabula

Human Trafficking -- What Can We Do About It? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-3-15 01:12:27 |Display all floors
Throughout mankind’s existence "Exploitation" has reared its ugly head under the cloak of greed, money, power and control. No nation is immune and it should be the primary goal of all nations, ideologies and people to rid the world of this "Disease"

To my thinking the UN (totally ineffective) should cease world efforts of peace and famine, and concentrate first on ridding the world of such human exploitation.  No nation on earth can hold its head up from this shame - no rhetoric, policy, nor weak efforts can excuse us all, from allowing such things.

In a perfect world this would not happen, but we are imperfect and cannot even agree to disagree!

In 10,000 years from now history will list our shame for Exploitation, Famine and Disease - Together we could solve this problem, but instead History will only refer to it as "The Worlds Shame"

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-15 05:28:21 |Display all floors
Human Trafficking Resources

1. http://www.lib.msu.edu/harris23/crimjust/human.htm
Copy code
I am Chinese and Proud of it!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-6-18 18:22:09 |Display all floors
Some human traffickers may walk away in 'slave' case
By Kang Yi (chinadaily.com.cn)
Updated: 2007-06-15 14:57

While many are shocked by the news of a slave trafficking ring in Shanxi Province, some of the victims will not be able to prosecute their traffickers because they are not covered by the criminal law code.

Thirty one workers who were forced to work as 'slaves' in brick kilns in northern Shanxi province were freed by police, and another 217 'slaves' were rescued in neighboring Henan Province, Xinhua reported Thursday.

According to the report, most of the 'slave' laborers are migrant workers who had been lured by human traffickers to the brick kilns and were later detained by the kiln owners who hired thugs to keep the detainees under tight security.

Anyone attempting to run away would be punished by a deadly thrashing. A thug who worked for a kiln owner in Caosheng Village, Shanxi Province, was arrested by local police for allegedly beating a runway 'slave 'to death after catching the victim.

Death, assault, kidnapping and illegal detention could initiate a criminal procedure in China, but bringing the traffickers to justice is difficult.

"Those traffickers who lure migrant workers, mainly adult males, to do forced labor will not be convicted as the criminal code only covers those who traffic women and children," Guan Zhongzhi, a lawyer with Zhonghuan Law Firm told chinadaily.com.cn.

The legal loophole has put male victims in an awkward position when fighting against their traffickers in the court of law.

It is reported that a crackdown campaign was launched to strike 11 cities of Shanxi Province. Coal mines, brick kilns, private contractors and small-sized enterprises will be under scrutiny after media reports revealed that hundreds of children had been kidnapped and forced to work in kilns in Shanxi.

1. http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2007-06/15/content_895414.htm
Copy code

A rural migrant laborer, right, looks back at a passerby while pulling a cart of bricks at a kiln in Caosheng Village, Hongdong County in Shanxi Province in this undated photo. [Shanxi Evening News/file]
slave.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-6-18 20:10:09 |Display all floors
Changabula, I've had my fair share of disagreements with you, but this is a great thread! Human trafficking is one of lowest things that currently exist. I think the term is a euphemism for slavery.

And yes, it happens everywhere. You don't have to be smart to see why it happens. Money. That's the only thing those people that are involved in this business care about.

In the Netherlands a frequently used term is 'loverboy'. Usually a boy with more than average looks, and giving their girlfriends whatever they want. After a while though, they want their girlfriends to ---- with his friends for some money. After that it becomes worse and she has to ---- strangers for money. And in the end she is just another whore with red lights above her head.

The term 'loverboy' is one of those euphemisms. It's not a loverboy, it's a pimp. A person who forces girls to ---- for money.

I think there's not really a way to combat this, unfortunately. If you prohibit prostitution then there will be underground prostitution with even worse conditions for the girls/prostitutes.

Problems regarding wage might be helped with what we call a "CAO". A "CAO" is a standard contract for everyone in a certain business. In other words: You can't earn less than the wage mentioned in the CAO. If you earn less, you can go to the police and they will fine the company you work for, until they change your salary to at least the minimum wage. A "CAO" contains standards on some of the most basic needs for proper labor:
- Wage
- Healthcare
- Working conditions

For example, a construction CAO might be something like:
- Minimum Wage = 2000 a month.
- Healthcare = 50% paid for by government, 25% by company, 25% by employee
- Working Conditions = Protective armor has to be safe according to European Laws 1a, 23b and 17c. Ear protection and eye protection have to be provided by the company, and have to be safe according to European Laws 45a, 7c and 9b.

Something like that.

[ Last edited by harregarre at 2007-6-18 01:15 PM ]
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-6-18 21:18:29 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-6-19 01:21:11 |Display all floors
On a personal level maybe we could do something about it.

Originally posted by schreiber at 2007-6-18 21:18
I'm not sure there is much to be done about human trafficking in the short term.

Maybe it will decrease if the market for it decreases.

By that I mean that if in our local communities we could be on the watch for the various places that pretend to be respectful i.e. massage parlours, strip joints, ... A lot of these places are a front for prostitution possibly with women that are trafficked.

By not going to such places we do not provide the market for them.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-6-19 03:44:35 |Display all floors
Originally posted by changabula at 2007-6-18 18:21
On a personal level maybe we could do something about it.

Maybe it will decrease if the market for it decreases.

By that I mean that if in our local communities we could be on the  ...

Problem is, those who care about the feelings and lifes of those people are not going there already. The people who go there, are heartless and will not listen to our complaints.

There are people who really think like: "I don't care as long as I can hang my dick into a young girl every day."
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.