Author: zglobal

Chinese Pollution...or Foreign [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-3-14 12:01:56 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-14 12:47:13 |Display all floors

Per square

Originally posted by fatdragon at 2007-3-10 13:03
As I live in China, I would like to believe your statistics but I'm slightly confused. If there is less polution in China than in the UK, why do China's sky and rivers look dirtier than they do in  ...

If they gave the figures as per square km of readily habitable land area then China would be much higher on the list of bad polluters and you would understand why the rivers you see look dirty.

The planet doesn't care about how much pollution per person it cares about how much pollution.

China is big and has an even bigger population, the Chinese government is responsible for all of that great country and is also responsible for all of its pollution - and that is a lot of pollution!

The US government is hypocritical on this issue but that is not an excuse for China to avoid its responsibility to the planet.

As other people said above, forget the west and just think about China's problems. Saying the USA is worse than us, is not going to help.

Yes, it is a big problem for China - so many people and fast development so how to cut pollution?

I notice the little things the government does here - like electricity is expensive and so are electrical goods which use a lot of energy (most electric heaters are 1 kW or less) so we are discouraged from using too much power.

I am doing my bit to help - I am sitting here with a coat on and no heater.

In the USA I would be sitting with just a shirt on with a heater blowing hot air on me - that's how the USA "achieves" such high per capita emmissions!

:)
"We know it's weakness, but the weakness is so strong!"

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-14 13:10:35 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-14 23:37:21 |Display all floors
Originally posted by seneca at 2007-3-14 12:33
I don't think we will get any medals for scoring high in this dalking exercise; may I come up with a suggestion that ALL CHINESE can implement, in the interest of a better natural and human environ ...

When I live in China, I find out people are using plastic bags to throw away garbage.  So if they are not using plastic bags at shopping, they still have to buy plastic bags to collect garbage.  This is the same in the most of the other countries.  So how are we going to solve the needs for the garbage?   

Because of the small space of their living quarter, most Chinese have to throw away their daily garbage.  The plastic bags from shopping are perfect for that purpose!  

I have seen some westerners encourage people not to use plastic shopping bags at the super markets in Shanghai.  I’m afraid their effort may not fit into the needs of daily life here.   

But I may be wrong, any suggestions?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-15 03:01:58 |Display all floors

Cattle Fart

I know joke but read this:

Sources of manmade methane include, notably, herds of cattle and other ungulates, rice production, and leaks of natural gas from pipelines, according to the IPCC.

Methane hurts ozone layer.  Involve global warming.

Pollution in Toronto I can breath, in Los angeles so so, in Beijing very cough cough.  China should improve polution to help chinese people not to make west happy or kyoto whatever.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-15 06:56:35 |Display all floors
Originally posted by 888dawei at 2007-3-15 03:01
I know joke but read this:

Sources of manmade methane include, notably, herds of cattle and other ungulates, rice production, and leaks of natural gas from pipelines, according to the IPCC.

M ...

:):):)

I believe China will.  Currently on China's news media and especially on the educational channel of CCTV there are plenty of talks on environment protection.   The only issue is how to stop the environment deterioration when there are so many factories, so much garbage to treat including ones being imported illegally overseas.   The problems are immense.  But I believe, being a strong government, it will be able to put it all under control eventually.   However we have to remember that protecting the environment is everyone’s social responsibility.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-15 13:38:51 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.