Views: 3788|Replies: 7

Chinese keyboard and typos [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-3-4 21:13:03 |Display all floors
Hello all,

As you may not know, I created a blog to give tips about how to translate Chinese into French (http://zhongwenfanyi.canalblog.com/) and I wanted to create a post about typos and misspellings one can find when one reads a Chinese article.

Can someone please tell me briefly how s/he types in Chinese characters in MS Word. I guess using Microsoft Pinyin IME. But how do you spellcheck a text in Chinese? I'm curious to know...

I am also trying to find a good picture of a Chinese keyboard in Google Images but I can't get a nice one. Do you know where I can get a full-size picture of a real Chinese keyboard like the one used in China?

Thx for your help
Valéry
做英语法语翻译。

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-5 10:27:31 |Display all floors
1. For Chinese typing, Microsoft Pinyin IME is OK, or other tools, e.g. "拼音加加" I am using. As I know, no Chinese spelling check function is available now.

2. Do you mean a Chinese keyboard containing all Chinese characters? It will be larger than the Pacific. In fact, we use exactly the same keyboard as you use. The trick is Input Bar - input Pinyin to the bar, then choose the right number indicating the Character needed.
In the following example, "5" will be chose if 拼 is to be input.

[ Last edited by mobile_eater at 2007-3-5 10:31 AM ]
Clip.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-5 17:53:24 |Display all floors

Hi

Thx Mobile_eater

I mean do you use a keyboard like this one at with the Chinese characters below the keys such as Tab, Ctrl, Fn, Enter...

I guess you mean the input bar such as the one in 拼音加加.

So to spellcheck a Chinese text, the only solution is to read through all the document again, am I right? Do you know which misspellings the Chinese people most often do when they type in characters?

thx
Valéry
做英语法语翻译。

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-6 09:07:15 |Display all floors

any extra help?

thx
做英语法语翻译。

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-6 10:00:16 |Display all floors
I see, Valéry.

Most keyboards used in China  have no Chinese indication like the pic you pasted. Some notebooks may have. However, for a common computer-user, Chinese indications for function keys are not so important because all keyboards are generally the same. They maybe help to beginners, esp. the elderly.

As for Chinese text checking, yes, you're right. Chinese typing is different from English. The absolutely most frequent mistake is inputting the wrong accompanying number of a character (if you use Pinyin input). For the above example, when I suppose to choose "5" for "拼", I may choose "4" or "6" by mistakes. The order of character appearance is different from one input tool to the other (most of them are even dynamically changed), the mistakes are various, so I think it's not easy to give examples you mentioned.

[ Last edited by mobile_eater at 2007-3-6 10:16 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-6 11:41:38 |Display all floors
Hi, Valéry

In Taiwan, keyboards typically have markings for inputing characters, esp. 注音符號. See below, and you might find this
link instructive.

[ Last edited by putneyswope at 2007-3-6 11:43 AM ]
keyboard.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-6 19:10:41 |Display all floors

Thx Putneyswope

but I guess that 注音符號 ONLY applies in Tawain not in mainland China, am I right?

thx
Valéry
做英语法语翻译。

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.