Author: clarksnz33

A maths problem [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-3-28 10:40:10 |Display all floors
but the word "maths" does not exist, it's a grammatically unneccessary spelling of math

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-28 13:29:31 |Display all floors
maths was far away from me,,,since i went out from HMS....

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-28 14:19:59 |Display all floors
Originally posted by hiceliss at 2007-3-28 13:29
maths was far away from me,,,since i went out from HMS....

random is good

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-28 15:45:37 |Display all floors
but the word "maths" does not exist, it's a grammatically unneccessary spelling of math

Well, actually it does. Except for the Americans, most of the rest of the world does know it as maths. It is a contraction for mathematics (not mathematic). The "s" in maths comes from the last letter of "mathematics".

I am aware, from my own experience, that Americans who teach English overseas either don't know, or don't care, or both, about other versions of English in vogue around the world. As far as those "teachers" are concerned, theirs is the only legitimate version of English.

In this, they do their students a great disservice, by not bothering to find out or let their students know about how the rest of the world uses English. So, we are left with the ironic situation where a non English speaker may learn a bit of "English" from an American teacher, and then go to England and tell English teachers there that their English is "wrong".

Socrateets, my guess is that you are an unwitting victim of a typical American English teacher. My heart goes out to you

Anyway, we are digressing from the topic of the thread. Perhaps you would care to apply your mind to the maths problem (or 'math problem' if you prefer it that way), which is sure to prove a bit more challenging as well as rewarding.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-28 17:15:45 |Display all floors

Sorry, My maths is so poor.

A friendship founded on business is better than business founded on friendship.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-29 13:07:38 |Display all floors

Or, as George Bernard Shaw said,

England and the United States are two countries separated by a common language.

But the struggle is what makes learning English so much fun!
LSR.  龙诗人  or  龍詩人
A crater on the planet Mercury is named 李白. (Li Bai)
http://dragonpoet.blogbus.com/

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.