Author: changabula

Is it Right to Steal Another Nation's Heritage? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-2-28 17:30:50 |Display all floors
Can I throw a spanner in the works?

If collectors in the west did not pay big money, do you think that there would be a market for these items?
This is the cause behind a lot of theft. Until these collectors are punished in some way this practice will continue.

These items only have true meaning for the people of the country it came from! To others its only a surface beauty. As an example, take the Elgin marbles, what meaning does it have for the English? None. But to a Greek person it would be a source of national pride and identity. Has anyone read about the way these marbles were butchered from their original site? If you are an artist then the story would make you want to weep. This example is replicated worldwide.

[ Last edited by changabula at 2007-2-28 05:32 PM ]
I am Chinese and Proud of it!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-28 17:34:43 |Display all floors
Did you know that the Africans had a rich civilization that the Europeans (especially the English) deliberately tried to hide and destroy? It suited their purpose to do this when they were plundering the countries of Africa.

This is another example of stealing the heritage of an entire continent!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-28 18:13:19 |Display all floors

Bad and Sad.

Dear Chang,

You are again throwing gems in front of swine. There are those, as we see here, who would deny, deem it their right, and with a devil-may-care cavalier way stole other people's treasures and keeping them against all decency .  They then have the hide to utter such demented remarks as " but we can keep them better than you can " !!?? Duh ?  It is similar to my robbing my neighbour's latest Merc and tell him that I can make more use of it than he can !!  It is illegal, illogical and blatantly criminal.

Some of the Australian Aborigine skeletons have been robbed by the British, taken home to the British Museum for " safe keeping ". Even as of last week some mealymouth scientist is still insisting that they have a right to retain some of these stolen and desecrated remnants of foreign people, for DNA studies. The British are crass, cruel, cunning , conniving and criminal in this case. There is no reason at all for doing this in the year 2007.

But then the residual supremacist attitude die hard : there are those who still believe that they are born to rule over us , the mere mortals, and they can do whatever they wish with us. " It is all for your own good, you will see " echoes weakly and limpidly , but without any sense of shame or remorse .

It is just as well that people are now alert enough and assertive enough to say " enough is enough buster ".

Shame to the degenerated and disintegrating former empire. There is no more military , economic or indeed moral capital left of these ferals. Sad, mad and bad.   

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-28 19:34:37 |Display all floors
Originally posted by mengzhi at 2007-2-28 18:13
Dear Chang,

You are again throwing gems in front of swine. There are those, as we see here, who would deny, deem it their right, and with a devil-may-care cavalier way stole other  ...

I sometimes wonder if these individuals have any values in life.

They are quick to defend the indefensible!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-1 06:26:48 |Display all floors
Originally posted by greatwall_sg at 2007-2-28 14:27
You seemed to think that China now is still the China of the past. Sorry to disappoint you, China has progressed, it now cares very much about its treasures and wants them back.  ...

And China thanks the west for looking after all these artifacts while China went about destroying them during the CR. Now that China's running a bit low on cultural relics, we'd like that stuff you've been storing safely, to be sent back to us so we can look at it now, and possibly destroy it at some future stage.
"他不是救星, 他是一个非常淘气男孩" - Monty Python

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-1 06:44:28 |Display all floors
"then China can send in special agents and get those treasures out of the US and put them safely at the Beijing Imperial Museum."

Like I've said, it's not an ideal option, but I'd rather someone else care for them for a while than risk their permanent destruction.

I disagree that the only people for whom an artifact has "true meaning" are the ones in the country of its origin. People around the world can gain knowledge and perspective from artifacts, regardless of place of origin. It was really amazing for me to think of how far China had come when I was studying ancient bronzes. But it's more than China--it's humanity in general. At least that's how I see it.

I know I'm in the minority with my opinions on this, but I would hope someone would at least try to understand my point of view (zuraffo has been engaging me well here).

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-1 08:14:22 |Display all floors

Immorality and crassness.

Emu,

You love living in a fantacy land don't you ? The West rode in to the rescue of Chinese relics and treasures, the West protected them against all odds and the West has a right to keep them for " protection ". Duh and humbug. Even with your own Aborigines , they were treated like some exotic alien specimen , both  alive and dead, to be displayed like the bearded woman at the side show alley. Their remnants were offered to the British masters to do whatever they wanted with them, and they did. They showed the skeletons as something funny and curious and worth a giggle over. The British Museum is still adamant that they cannot return the remains of the Aborigines to their descendents for proper burial in Australia. The  ' clever ' scientist have things more important to do than that : like desecrating the dead more with sampling and DNA intrusions.

This immorality of the West is alive and well and live in a country near you !!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.