Author: changabula

Is it Right to Steal Another Nation's Heritage? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-2-28 06:24:07 |Display all floors
I know it's a moot point with changabula, who poses questions but won't tolerate opinions other than his own, but what about Tibet? It has a very different culture, much of which was damaged or destroyed during the Chinese "liberation" in the 1940s/50s.

I agree that destruction of artifacts and such is wrong. Nonetheless, in some cases, artifacts that were stolen (not a good thing) and housed in another country ended up being saved from almost-inevitable destruction (good thing--being saved, that is). So it's kind of a mixed bag.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-28 08:23:28 |Display all floors
Originally posted by sockmonkey at 2007-2-28 06:24
I know it's a moot point with changabula, who poses questions but won't tolerate opinions other than his own, but what about Tibet? It has a very different culture, much of which was damaged or des ...

I don't know what your opinion is on the matter.

Do you think that its wrong to steal relics from other peoples countries?
I am Chinese and Proud of it!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-28 08:36:34 |Display all floors
Stealing artifacts is a serious crime...

China must work to protect the cultural heritage by popularlizing respect for its ancient arts and crafts.
龙年顺顺利利

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-28 09:22:41 |Display all floors
Changabula, I think stealing artifacts is wrong. However, I believe preserving artifacts is more important than keeping them in their land of origin. If the country of origin is prone to destroying its artifacts, then stealing them, while still not good, is the lesser of two evils.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-28 10:05:20 |Display all floors
Sockmonkey:

let me paraphase what you just said:

I think stealing money is wrong. However, I believe saving money is more important than keeping it in its land of origin. If the country of origin is prone to spending its money, then stealing it, while still not good, is the lesser of two evils.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-28 10:05:55 |Display all floors
the point is, who gave you entitlement to these artifacts?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-28 10:57:10 |Display all floors
Unfortunately there isn't much we can do in the near term (3-5 years), but the day when our lost treasures are returned is near.  China is rising rapidly and with that we will have more bargaining power. In the meantime we have to join force with other nations to put pressure on the wrongdoers. Recently a few artifacts put on international auctions were bought by Mainland Chinese/ Hong Kong companies and individuals and subsequently donated to the Chinese government.

Stricter enforcement against artifacts smugglers must be implemented to prevent new artifacts from leaving China and into the hands of auction houses. But another issue would be to ensure that future returned artifacts are well preserved and exhibited, and not repeat what the British Museum is doing.

Some interesting links.

http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/04/04/features/chinart.php
http://www.iht.com/articles/2005/04/01/news/art.php
http://whyfiles.org/235loot/index.php?g=1.txt     (interesting read titled "the art of looting")

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.