Views: 2996|Replies: 4

joke--good pedigree, can you explain? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-2-18 09:15:23 |Display all floors
Good Pedigree
The lil' Columbia, Maryland Yuppette was shopping in an upscale pet center. "I want a dog of which I can be proud," she told the salesman. "Does that one have a good pedigree?"

"Miss," declared the clerk, "if she could speak, she wouldn't talk to either one of us."
私は花の子です。名前はルンルンです。。。。。。

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-18 09:17:29 |Display all floors
纯种的就孤傲吗?

店员看来这个宠物是皇家血统,正统的很。
猜的,不一定对。
Coming as I did from a family with no income at all,and with no prospects whatever,college was the narrow door that led darkness into light.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-18 23:27:48 |Display all floors
That is, "Her pedigree is a lot better than yours or mine, so she wouldn't even talk to us, if she could talk."

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-19 10:05:22 |Display all floors
thanks

Good Pedigree
The lil' Columbia, Maryland Yuppette was shopping in an upscale pet center. "I want a dog of which I can be proud," she told the salesman. "Does that one have a good pedigree?"

"Miss," declared the clerk, "if she could speak, she wouldn't talk to either one of us."

i guess the joke is: the salesman at this upscale pet center exaggerates the pedigree of this dog. see, "if she could speak, she wouldn't talk to either one of us"---> implies the dog is in pedigree of upper class, most probably is that he could only talk to people in the same high class. so, surely, the buyer can be proud of the dog.  

i just wonder what "The lil' Columbia, Maryland Yuppette" means?--->suggests the guy is in low class?
私は花の子です。名前はルンルンです。。。。。。

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-19 12:43:01 |Display all floors
Originally posted by qinger at 2007-2-19 10:05
i just wonder what "The lil' Columbia, Maryland Yuppette" means?--->suggests the guy is in low class?

NO. Just the opposite. Besides, that is a young woman.
YUP   (Young Urban Professional) -YUPPIE (for a man) yuppette --for a woman.The place is Washington, DC

also, abbreviation: lil. (informal) little.

[ Last edited by edchan at 2007-2-19 01:45 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.