Author: shakyamuni

High time China Adapts a More Evolved Writing System than HanZi [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-2-18 22:04:59 |Display all floors

Sad Commentary of Zuraffo

The purpose of this post was not to demean the chinese language or culture.  On the contrary it was to allow china to extend its cultural sphere of influence.  And language a major tool for that.  English has been single-handedly responsible for America's dominant position in the world.  And English has been accepted so well all ove the world because it is easy to learn.  

Simplifying Chinese writing will go a long way in projecting Chinese influence to non chinese.  Nobody is asking Chinese to accept Roman characters.  Chinese can develop their own new writing system using whatever alphabetic method that suits the language the best.  The point was although HanZi has a long history, it is still a pictograph system; not the most advanced.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-18 22:06:30 |Display all floors
so it is now clear, shakyamuni  recommend that all chinese dump their native tongue and all start using english , and for what , to make china an even greater success than it is now?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-18 22:34:17 |Display all floors
Shakyamuni:

If you are really interested look at what the Japanese has tried: The alphabetic components have failed to replace the characters.

The nature of the language is such that by introducing an alphabetical system to the Chinese language it complicates it, not simplify it, and thereby goes against the trend. You cannot compare English to Chinese because these two languages follow different logic at the most fundamental level.

I believe you are sincere with introducing alphabet system into the chinese language system. But it will not work. But hey, don't take it from me. Ask linguistic experts in universities and hear different views if you are interested in this topic. But the gut feeling of me (and I believe many chinese) is that a alphabet system in Chinese language will not work. And when people who grow up in a certain language tells you their gut feelings, it probably should mean something.

On the sidenote: I don't believe the chinese culture need to influence the world. If I have any choice in that matter, I would prefer the chinese remains a private club, and admit only via invitation. I'll even volunteer to translate for free. The patriots in China, however, seemed hellbend in making the chinese culture the behemoth in the world. Let me tell you: it won't work. it never was meant to be the behemoth culture.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-18 22:35:18 |Display all floors

You still don't get it!

Writing and talking are two different things.  Why should the Chinese give up their native tongue?  I never implied that.
Keep the language, just simplify the writing, move beyond pictographs, that's all!!!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-18 22:40:31 |Display all floors
Reyquer:

Don't be ridiculous. If Chinese drop Chinese and adopt English, that will mean global cultural hegemony of the anglo-saxon culture. In fact, China is probably the last stronghold the anglo-saxon culture was not able to penetrate.

Learn all the languages you want, but the ability to speak and write chinese is a priviledge and a right that should not be rescindled to foreign and foreign funded "linguistic" scholar.

I mean, the intention of the posters in this thread is so laughably apparent that anyone calling themselves a chinese should be ashamed if he/she failed to grasp the real purpose behind this thread.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-18 22:48:43 |Display all floors
Shakyamuni:

You cannot describe chinese character system using a western concept. The character is not JUST a pictographs. It is actually a combinations of pictographs and alphabets, and ideograms.

As for simplification, if you have read my post, it has been simplified since 2000+ years ago and will continue to be simplified.

The chinese character is a living thing that has its own logic and is constantly evolving. It might have evolved FROM a pictographic system, but it has NOT been a pictographic system for a long time.

I guess the first concept you need to grasp is that chinese character is two-dimensional, instead of linear. So it CAN encompass pictographs, ideograms and alphabets in one character.

In any case, IF you want further, academical discussion about the complex chinese character system, it is best you seek professional opinion. Asking around here will not get you anything besides "gut feels" and half-formed concepts. I am not vain enough to claim to be able to take on professional discussion.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-18 22:50:34 |Display all floors
In case you have not grasped the basic concept:

The Chinese language cannot be decoupled from its character without ceasing to exist as a language.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.