Views: 23135|Replies: 70

High time China Adapts a More Evolved Writing System than HanZi [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-2-15 13:07:29 |Display all floors
China is a great and fascinating country with immense potential and a history of great contribution in all the fields of humankind.  
However, for how smart and rational the Chinese people are, it puzzles me as to why they still use the antiquated Hanzi system for writing.  Most cultures and languages in the world have long abandoned their pictograph writing systems in favor of various highly evolved alphabetic writing systems.  
Has anybody ever made an attempt to develop a new style of writing?  Pin-yin is certainly an attempt to make it simpler, albeit a lame one that is inadequate.  

If China wants to realize its dreams of becoming a future superpower, it would certainly need a superior writing system than the one in use today which is essentially represents a bygone era.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-15 13:43:13 |Display all floors
I understand your point.  However, I think it would be difficult due to the tonal nature of Mandarin.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-16 07:08:37 |Display all floors
i agree that it is difficult because many chinese words have similar sounds.
i think that the chinese are blessed that they have this kind of writing .
from an early age the childs brain are kept alert mastering a difficult  writing system and by mastering them,
difficult has now become easy .in contrast child who learned an easy task does not have the luxury of  brain development at  an early age. many scientist think that  an early stage of childs brain development is important.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-16 07:30:13 |Display all floors
There have been many attempts at making Chinese easier. Before pinyin was Wade-Giles; there is and has been bopomofo, Tongyong pinyin, Legge romanization, Latinxua Sinwenz, Guoyeu Romatzyh, Yale romanization... the list goes on (and that's just romanization, to say nothing of attempts to simplify characters).

Reyquer, while on the one hand I agree it's good that children can learn these things at a young age, there are also debates that suggest a character-based writing system stifles creativity in the minds of those who are raised around one.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-16 14:06:26 |Display all floors

Chinese are smarter without Chinese.....

People of Chinese ancestry born in western countries are much smarter than those from other countries or western countries.  My theory for this is as follows....

The ancestors of these Chinese people had to evolve a superior brain power to be able to learn the complex writing system.  The Chinese born abroad inherit this brain power from their parents.  However, growing up in western countries they do not have to learn Chinese writing.  This allows them to utilize the superior brain power for other kinds of learning giving them an edge over others.  But the Chinese people in China do not have this edge over others since significant part of the brain is 'wasted' (apologize for using such a strong word; but I mean no disrespect) in remembering the writing system..

So in fact the rest of the world is lucky that the Chinese people still use Hanzi, because a simpler writing system will unshackle additional brain power in the Chinese people and other people in the world stand no chance of competing against them!!!!!!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-16 14:21:46 |Display all floors

quiete agree with you.

Originally posted by shakyamuni at 2007-2-16 14:06
People of Chinese ancestry born in western countries are much smarter than those from other countries or western countries.  My theory for this is as follows....

The ancestors of these Chinese p ...

but it's still a long way to go.for instance, if we start survey on that ,the result will be only approximately 10%being willing to change the system of hanzi coming down from ancestors .why?because immense amount of chinese have lost heart to stand the test and make our coutry go ahead.they are easily satisfied.they long for nothing for clothing,food and living is enough.they haven't been aware of crisis of severe competition in the world approaching

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-16 14:57:49 |Display all floors

Get rid of it!

In fact the pictograph type of writing were the first kind of writing systems developed by civilizations all over the world.  Over time most civilizations moved to more evolved writing system such as those using alphabet.  Pictograph writing system is very retrograde, inefficient, fairly illogical and as Imentioned before relic of the bygone era.
I feel just like the rest of the world moved ahead to accept alphabetic writing systems, Chinese should do the same.  It is understandable to feel great attachment to it, but it is no longer useful, only an impediment that keeps the Chinese from realizing their full potential.
In terms of evolutionary language one can classify the Hanzi system as something belonging to the Jurassic era.  Chinese culture is great enough to survive well without HanZi, a writing system that is no longer fit to survive.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.