Author: johnners

Chinese cuisine is excellent, but... [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-2-15 13:07:12 |Display all floors

Learning to accept!

Dear johnners,

Sorry but I just can't be more disagree with this idea. When you in anther country, the best thing you should do is to learn to adapt, not to change. What is the point of traveling after all?But if you are on a completely different mission, like selling wines, then I will not have any trouble understanding your act here.

Pls don't tell me that you do it only because you can't adjust to this tradition, cause that will hit your so hard!

Good luck to your business in China!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-16 20:02:16 |Display all floors

The Sensational Liquid

Thankyou all for your comments.

I think I should clarify my position to avoid confusion.

The purpose of the fine wine courses I will run in Shanghai is simply cultural; I
am not involved in the business of selling wines.

I did say a bottle of wine with each course of a meal related to special
dinners, not everyday dining. That is why I gave the example of the bread and
cheese for lunch, accompanied by a single glass of red wine - a very common
sight in France, Italy and Spain.

I agree - up to a point - that visitors should respect the customs and
conventions of their host society. However, this cannot be a bland acceptance
of all customs; for example, who would want to speak up in favour of spitting in
public?

My essential argument here is that excellent Chinese food is spoiled by the
consumption of baijiu, which is a highly unsuitable beverage with food. The
tendency for Chinese men to get drunk at formal dinners also detracts from
the enjoyment of the food and the occasion.  

I'm not arguing against drinking whilst dining; Europeans drink far more
than Chinese people. No, the key issue is what is drunk, and for what
purpose.

Europeans have been making wines to match their diverse national
cuisines for more than 2,000 years, so it's little wonder that numerous
food-friendly wines have been developed over that period.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-16 21:58:23 |Display all floors

it's all in the head...

Originally posted by johnners at 2007-2-16 07:02 AM
Thankyou all for your comments.

I think I should clarify my position to avoid confusion.

The purpose of the fine wine courses I will run in Shanghai is simply cultural; I
am not involved in ...

greetings!   if the chinese could afford to drink wine, then they will do so...and if not then they'll have their own rice wine to go with and it doesn't have to be what so called, WINE to go with certain meals as you might have described (or even different GLASS has different purpose ...i could even drink my beer w/o the frosted glass to tell the truth) .  it's just a matter of CLASS/STYLE that you might want to say, RIGHT?  take care!   peter  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-17 06:27:30 |Display all floors

Good Points,johnners!

Dear johnners,

Your have absolutely a special interest in wines, or you would not have had decided to run a few wine courses I guess all by your own pocket's money? If it is true now that it is fair to compare drinking baijiu at dinnertable with spitting in public,then why had not decide to spend the money on changing that habit instead of this one?

To me it is all about your personal interest and it should not be that of a Big Deal!

Who said that people can't derive happiness from getting drunk? Just like you have mentioned, europeans have far more of a drinking problem than us Chinese! We have all busy making  a living here!

Good point that you say that we should not accept all customs blandly and the purpose of drinking or getting drunk. Only with the wrong audiences, I think! Pls tell your european friends not to follow "our" suit to ride across the street while the traffic light is still red! and getting drunk without a good reason! As far as I know, chinese kids are much more behaved than european ones in more than only one area(if you know what I mean)

So keep on defending with your overracted opinion and do what you like doing even though it may hurt your business!

Good luck to you again with your business!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-17 14:30:42 |Display all floors
John - have you ever considered that European-style red wine just doesn't 'go' that well with Chinese food?  I have a load of the stuff that I was given as a present, and I never drink it with a meal.  Beer just goes much better with Chinese food, especially the hot sichuan style cuisines (my favourite Chinese food - actually Hunan is arguably the best of all!).  Grape wine is also prohibitively expensive in China.  The cheapest bottles usually are around 30 RMB, which is too much for the average Chinese person to buy much of, when you think how cheap beer/baijiu is.

Whereas in the UK, wine is probably the most economical alcohol.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-17 14:31:25 |Display all floors
Re. behaviour of 'European' kids, I take it you are referring to the UK?  In which case, yes we do have our fair share of badly behaved kids, but I think you'll find that that is not so true of other European countries.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-17 14:32:48 |Display all floors
Re. changing the culture.  Well didn't that happen when beer was introduced in the first place?  Heck, every country's culture changes.  I would be more upset about the number of McDonalds restaurants that exist in China than about someone suggesting drinking grape wine.  My sole objection to grape wine is that it simply doesn't go with chinese food.

Grape wine is not even foreign to China - Xinjiang produces some very good ones.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.