Author: gangsta

Is it Racism to be called Foreigner or Laowai in China? [Copy link] 中文

bossel has been deleted
Post time 2007-2-17 00:59:47 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-17 09:51:13 |Display all floors
I have never seen such racism (quite blatant in certain cases) in a forum, from people claiming not to be racists. The moral of the whole discussion is that Chinese ARE racist towards "Foreigners"/// "Laowai" and we should face the facts. For me, personally, it hurts me every time someone stares at me, or call me Laowai, or tell me hello, looka looka, etc.... People choosing not to see that as racism are just plain stupid.

[ Last edited by gangsta at 2007-2-17 09:52 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-18 07:18:47 |Display all floors
by using these terms it makes China look like a third world country to the forgieners. While most developed countries dont call people who look different 'out siders' they just think of them as different looking people who may be a national. Or in the US they just see someone who is a "person" and nothing else except when they open their mouth and have an accent. So maybe China could use a term like 'friendship person' or something more inclusive than someone to be looked as someone who is to be feared or differnt.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-18 11:47:10 |Display all floors
Calling people Laowai are in no way racist.  Hell, the Chinese call themselves Laozhong.  Stop being moronic.  A label can't be bad if the people call themselves the same way too.  Besides, in a way it is a honor because Lao means old which has positive connotations in Chinese culture.  It's much like calling someone Mr.  or Mrs.
"When I am White, I win because I'm White.  When I'm Black, I win because I am Bogoljubow."

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-18 16:04:29 |Display all floors
I kinda got use to answering the phone, and whoever just calls me the "laowai"

I dont know I just find it perversely funny. They just phone someone they barely know, dont bother to learn my name and call me up, and i respond to 'foreigner' as my name. kinda funny really.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-19 16:05:26 |Display all floors
Originally posted by eyeofstorm at 2007-2-16 16:04
The type of negative / inferior treatment Asians got when they went to the West far outweighs compared to what 'lao wei' encounters   ...

I originally come from Greece. I wonder how my people oppressed and mistreated the Chinese in the past! That is the case for many other European countries that always had lond friendship with China.
Does anybody minds to clarify to me, why should i take the racist comments the Chinese are making against me, if i never been racist towards anyone????

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-19 21:32:03 |Display all floors
"whiny bitches" ...now I got a better word than a racism calling "lao wai"? :)

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.