Author: gangsta

Is it Racism to be called Foreigner or Laowai in China? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-2-16 16:04:16 |Display all floors

Enough is enough for reals,

How about you guys just suck it up and take one for the team. The type of negative / inferior treatment Asians got when they went to the West far outweighs compared to what 'lao wei' encounters in Asia. If you been through what most of my Asian-American friends been through growing up in the West you would see this as 'god-send' and 'child-play'' in terms of hospitality and disrespect. Simply said, stop being such whiny bitches. At the moment China hasn't gotten the concept of Racism very well...they aren't racist but rather ignorant. Just be grateful for the 'white privledge' you peeps already get just being here.
((EyeOfStorm))
~All that which glitters is not gold~

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-16 16:15:17 |Display all floors

Oh yeah

On a further note, have you all noticed that many 'lao wei / foreigner' also calls themselves that. I see them branding themselves as that on this forum even. Therefore, if they feel offended to be called that by others, why the hell would they call themselves the exact words? (kinda reminds me of how African American speak to each other but this calling yourself to others which African Americans definitely won't do)
((EyeOfStorm))

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-16 16:23:32 |Display all floors

I wonder why

When a person can't argue a point they start doing two things:

1. They make it personal "you suffer from tunnel view" whereas I just keep stating facts or my real life observations/experience

2. They start to put words into the other person's mouth so that they have something easy to argue about -

"By prohibiting the use of certain words you ..."

I never said prohibit anything.

"You may not like to be called laowai, but that is your problem. The rest of mankind is not obligated to do only what you like. If you want to prohibit/outlaw "

again I never said prohibit anything.

I don't feel bad about being called "lao wei"

I just feel sorry for the people who shout and stare at me, they are not cool

"We know it's weakness, but the weakness is so strong!"

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-16 16:28:57 |Display all floors
Thanks for the typo point out pandamoan (I won't change it though)

I just feel sorry for the people who shout and stare at me, they are not cool

If you look at what the majority wears and their style...not many are cool anyways .
((EyeOfStorm))

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-16 16:52:38 |Display all floors

Well

The girls are cool

but the guys ...

well many of them don't seem to bother much do they?

:)
"We know it's weakness, but the weakness is so strong!"

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-16 18:03:53 |Display all floors
There is not enough competition yet...so no need to innovate or be creative with how you put yourself together. This goes with China's business industry as well...only when there is competition can there be change -- in most cases for the better.
((EyeOfStorm))

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-16 18:34:38 |Display all floors

A little off topic

Alongside having "hello" and "lao wai" shouted at me, one thing I noticed in Nanjing was that a lot of Chinese, 9 times out of 10 women, seem to have a fear of coming into any physical contact with non-Chinese.  I'm not talking about hugs, kisses etc but just brushing past  non-Chinese as happens on busses or in the streets on a fairly regular basis.  

I saw girls squirm away sqealing just because a non-Chinese elbow was within 20cm of theirs.  

Is this a form of racism?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.