Author: gangsta

Is it Racism to be called Foreigner or Laowai in China? [Copy link] 中文

bossel has been deleted
Post time 2007-2-15 06:18:54 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-15 08:31:34 |Display all floors

In Gunagdong we even suffer more

because we are frequently called "gweilo" which literally translate as "foreign devil". True is that many people don't use the term in an offensive manner, but still.

I ofent get situation like going to shop to the market and hear phrases like "Here comes the "gweilo""

I do agree that it gets anoying at times, but I must have built a shell, because I just ignore them.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-15 10:07:20 |Display all floors

No, not really

It's just a word to call and response regards the word, like my name here is clergy, well you call me jesus freak....it's just do i give a damx or not...right....so i don't think it's racist of calling Laowai....haha..
cheers

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-15 11:33:48 |Display all floors
It's a word, but it's not the same as a name--a family name is an individual thing, as is an online name one gives oneself. It's different if others pick out something to call you. The fact that the general Chinese populace chooses something based on skin color or nationality is, at the very least, annoying and rude. If you can ignore it, power to you, but after 9 months, I was sick of "Hallo, laowai, hallo!" on a daily basis. Yeesh.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-15 14:31:43 |Display all floors

Not quite

Originally posted by bossel at 2007-2-15 06:18

Every Englishman, Pole, German or Icelander is an individual, so even these labels are wrong, following your argumentation.

That's what I would call PC gone wild. The horrible thing is that  ...

Noting that someone is say an English person or a German is not the same as "Lao Wei"

because those terms contain useful information - if I were a German and someone said "see him over there? He is a German" that is useful because it tells me and everyone around that he will be able to speak German, etc.

but shouting "Lao Wei" at a non-Chinese looking person does not tell anyone anything that they don't know already. So the only reason it would be said is to expose the difference between that person and the majority in China.

I was only answering the question - could the terms be seen as racist?

The answer can only be yes because in the UK I could not say to a Chinese guy

"You foreigners are always getting lost"

He could report me for making a racist comment - and there have been cases like this in the UK.

"Foreigner" is not an acceptable term in the UK

That's why Heathrow Airport is full of signs like "Non-EU Nationals" queue here

"We know it's weakness, but the weakness is so strong!"

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-15 14:48:23 |Display all floors
Originally posted by pandamonium at 2007-2-15 14:31
"Foreigner" is not an acceptable term in the UK

That's why Heathrow Airport is full of signs like "Non-EU Nationals" queue here

The funny side of this is that last year i went to renew my visa in Beijing, and at the Visa office the sign post clearly states "Alien Visa Application Upstairs"

People giving you the evil eye, trying to cheat you because you cant speak the language, laugh at your accent or the way you do business, is clearly racism. In UK you can get in serious trouble if you call someone a Foreigner or Black, Paki, Nigger, Yellow or anything else offensive.

Racism is a very important issue, and it hurts more the person at the "receiving end", no matter if you meant or not  any of the words you used, or the attitude of stupid "polite cleverness" that the Chinese like to use when they talk to non-Chinese....

[ Last edited by gangsta at 2007-2-15 02:59 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-15 16:25:19 |Display all floors
Does anyone think the word "Foreigner" should be banned from this forum? I saw some threads called "Hello Foreigners" etc over the last few days. Just who do we speak to if we wish do something like that?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.