Author: jeffpan

What are the unacceptable manners Chinese should change for the Olympics? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-2-12 11:16:11 |Display all floors
I feel that this is a rather foolish move...this type of campaign should be carried out in every major city and not just ONE. This once again aligns with 'saving face' and shows not intrinsically wanting to reduce these uncivil behaviors. It is rather innocent for Beijing to think that the visitors coming for the 2008' lympics will only stay within Beijing.
((EyeOfStorm))
~All that which glitters is not gold~

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-12 12:28:43 |Display all floors
Just a funny sound file...
(from WoW)

http://www.mediafire.com/?34mnhnm4mzz

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-15 14:50:03 |Display all floors
China is already a favorite tourist destination for many foreigners. The Olympics will just add some athletes, spectators and sports commentators to the businessmen and retirees who visit from lands afar for a marvellous few weeks each time. A series of big, highly profiled events no doubt but after them it'll be back to normal, albeit with even more energetic growth, i expect.

I find someone spitting more innocent than someone else on charges of raping a manila accountant in the backseat of a van and claiming consular protection over the head of the local laws because of some bilateral clause (US-Philippines, manila, marine).   They never got over their loss of Saigon although quick to ignore what they had done in MyLai, Baghdad, Guantanamo....

In this context i find Chinese manners amenable, acceptable and agreeable by comparison.

Only one teeny thing before the games... in the airport terminal washrooms (perhaps tolled-highway stops, too) and above each urinal, it shouldn't be 'waterfree' but, maybe if you can agree, something like...'auto-flush' (or, more compactly, 'autoflush'); also the attendants shouldn't have to stand in the washrooms the whole day; the air is not entirely hygienic even if the facilities are modern and well-maintained.

I love China and the Chinese people without conditions.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-15 19:21:32 |Display all floors
The media always does this story.

Each time the Olympics comes to a new town, the media always does a story about how service workers are being taught to be polite to foreigners.  It's always good to see.  That way, those who complain about not wanting to go can be told to shut the hell up by those of us who do want to go.
龙年顺顺利利

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-16 07:15:46 |Display all floors
i dont think haggling over price qualifies as bad manners.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-16 07:20:31 |Display all floors

to #13

Haggling over a price is no problem; in fact, it can be kind of fun. However, the Chinese should be fair and not try to cheat the foreigners, which happens constantly. If you are a foreigner, speaking Chinese and being stubborn will go a long way in getting the price you want.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-16 16:28:27 |Display all floors

Only one thing

Can the Chengdu police make drivers respect the pedestrian crossings (crossway), and can cars and motorcycles driving on the sidewalk or in crowds give way to the pedestrians ?- remember you are not supposed to be driving there.

Everything else is not dangerous so let the people in China do what they like

"We know it's weakness, but the weakness is so strong!"

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.