Views: 16041|Replies: 28

What are the unacceptable manners Chinese should change for the Olympics? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-2-11 22:41:13 |Display all floors
With the 2008 Beijing Olympics approaching in a little more than one year, there are still a lot more Chinese should prepare than just building some extravagant stadiums.

Before we could change the bad manners, first we are to know what to change. So please list the most unacceptable manners in your mind here.

For instance, getting in line is a huge problem, and 11th of each month has been decided as the "
Queuing Day" by the government.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-11 23:30:11 |Display all floors
I wonder if there was a similar question on a Greek web forum before the 2004 games in Athens? Probably not.

It is nice that jeffpan has a concern about improving Chinese manners, but things will probably work out okay in Beijing.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-12 01:34:55 |Display all floors
frypan wrote, "What are the unacceptable manners... "

ronglimeng wrote, "I wonder if there was a similar question on a Greek web forum before the 2004 games in Athens? "
Great question.

This assumption that things must change to be "acceptable" strikes me as offensive.
What does this mean?
That China has to change to please the visitors.
Ridiculous!

Come one and come all Beijing(and China) 2008 will be an unforgetable experience!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-12 02:01:16 |Display all floors
Spitting is the main one that I can think of.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-12 09:19:49 |Display all floors
Well, we don't change the bad habits just to please others. Afterall, it's the people who live here benifit the most from a better environment. Good manners and a greener Beijing should be legacies after the Olympics.

I hate to use the word "unacceptable," but it's true that some habits really bother people so much that they think it's not acceptable, like spitting. Anyway, you can find problems like spitting all over the world, not just in Beijing, but wouldn't it be better if Chinese can get rid of it?

Originally posted by wowzers at 2007-2-12 01:34
frypan wrote, "What are the unacceptable manners... "

ronglimeng wrote, "I wonder if there was a similar question on a Greek web forum before the 2004 games in Athens? "
Gre ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-12 09:32:58 |Display all floors
Originally posted by wowzers at 2007-2-12 01:34
This assumption that things must change to be "acceptable" strikes me as offensive.
What does this mean?
That China has to change to please the visitors.
Ridiculous!

Ridiculous?  Maybe.  There's another thread with a news bit here:

http://bbs.chinadaily.com.cn/vie ... &extra=page%3D1

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-12 10:33:15 |Display all floors

Thats right wowzer

CHANGE NOTHING! I resent that you must change just for the olympics!
If you are spitting, shoving, and unable to line up...then that is what the world should see. The Olympic committee chose Beijing. There was no clause about the manners of the general populace...

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.