Author: airfly

do you love to live in guangzhou? why? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-3-31 11:06:49 |Display all floors

Strange phenomena in Guangzhou--- the indifferent residents in Guangzhou.

I find many people here are quite introverted, selfish and indifferent. They don't like to communicate with others especially receiving  phonecalls. Wherever in a working place or in a public getogether, most of them just care for themselves. They usually go to and fro like  a group of dead bodies. Once on a bus I found a vacant seat next to a woman who carried a bady in her arms, and I walked toward the seat. The woman sat there still and didn't willing to move. I could do nothing but push her leg a little. To my surprise, she moved a little without any facial expression. He son's shoes toughed my leg but she didn't care and still sat there still. I pushed the leg aside and still found she sat there still without any expression. Such pheonomena happen again and again on the bus, I still can't figure it out. I think maybe they want to occupy one more seat. It surprises me most why those women are so cold and mean and why they sit for such a long time without any expression in their faces.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-2 14:24:46 |Display all floors

Guangzhou

Guangzhou and Shenzhen have an equal share of problems, the crime rate in Shenzhen is not any lower than Guangzhou and while Shenzhen maybe more accomodating to non local residents, that is not always the case. I will remind you of the incident when the Shenzhen government put up a banner calling people form the province of Henan criminals and that they weren't welcomed to Shezhen. The banner was only taken down after the Henan provincial government appealed to the Central government.

To the person who bragged about Shenzhen getting the University games, unfortunately that is quite an underachievement considering Beijing, Tianjin, Qingdao, and Hong Kong will have the Olympic Games, Shanghai has the 2010 World Expo and guess what, Guangzhou gets the 2010 Asian Games, which I really think is just a little bit more prestige than the Univeristy Games. Furthermore when it comes to Education, Guangzhou is the education hub of Southern China with the highest concentration of Key Universities. Zhongshan University ranks top 10 in all of China while South China Normal University, South China University of  Technology, Jinan University are all some of the  best in the South China Region. In that regard Shenzhen cannot compare since Shenzhen University really isn't anything to talk about.

Where Shenzhen excels past Guangzhou is in civic infrastructural design, but that is due to the fact the Shenzhen prior to its present state was a small fishing village and was just empty land, allowing city planners an easy developmental path. Guangzhou with it's history of over 3000 years made it extremely difficult for city planners to to transform, but they have done a great job despite the difficulties and have given Guangzhou residents a public transportation system that is unmatched anywhere in China. Can Guangzhou improve? Most definitely, but that can be said about any city in China.

Discrimination exists and it does so for a wide variety of reasons, mainly out of ignorance of the realities of the changes brought on by a rapidly changing economy. Migrant workers have indeed made a large contribution to the development of major cities in China, their exploitation however has also led to an rapid increase in crime.

I do agree with redbud that local cantonese do throw out vulgar language quite often and it does irritate me. It hurts my ears to hear someone talk while inserting profanity in every other word unfortunatelty this seems to have become a habit in most parts of Guangzhou and this point I conceed to you. I will never understand why someone can't just speak normally. I mean cna understand if someone uses profanity in times of anger and rage or humor, but to adopt it as your regular vocabulary is annoying and just plain vulgar.

Many Chinese cities have the practice of discriinating against out of province people and it's not exclusive to Guangzhou , it happens in Shanghai, Beijing and it will eventually happen in Shenzhen when it's local hukou population increases.

Redbud, I sympathize deeply regarding your work situation, but perhaps your biases towards Guangzhou are a result of your frustration to find a good job in Guangzhou. It seems to me you have a very distinguished education and I think a good job sould be forthcoming as long as you persist. Life is not easy in China presently, but there are many opportunities with the fast development of China and while the opportunties do not present themselves equally, it is a great improvement upon having no opportunities at all.  It's hard to believe employers are giving you only 1300 given your credentials, that's almost robbery. Surely, there must be an English shool or training center in Guangzhou that values your talents.  I wish you the best and that you may find some solace in this city of Guangzhou.

[ Last edited by fyh2004 at 2007-4-2 02:25 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-3 18:22:32 |Display all floors

Bad impression

I went to Guangzhou to see a doctor,the medical fees are dear.That was my first time there,I didnot know the way and I asked the natives.Their attitude was a little bad.That time I was in a low spirit,which made me worse.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-7-3 22:53:21 |Display all floors
If  I have much money, I would like to live here..

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-7-5 11:33:42 |Display all floors
i lived in gz for few months,i think the cantonese is very difficult to learn for me.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-7-11 17:12:03 |Display all floors
I live in Guangzhou about 10years. First I come to GZ, I can not get use to it and feel frustrated. I change myself and make more friends. Now I find myself suitable for GZ life. The govenment is a little better and fair than other cities. But here are too many poeple, and it is difficult to have place quiet.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-7-12 13:48:51 |Display all floors
I like gz.....gz people are nice.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.