Author: tmphgt

Where is this? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-1-28 00:09:10 |Display all floors
This frame from the microscopic imager on the Mars Exploration Rover Opportunity shows spherules up to about 5 millimeters (one-fifth of an inch) in diameter. The camera took this image during the 924th Martian day, or sol, of Opportunity's Mars-surface mission (Aug. 30, 2006), when the rover was about 200 meters (650 feet) north of Victoria Crater.

Opportunity discovered spherules like these, nicknamed "blueberries," at its landing site in "Eagle Crater," and investigations determined them to be iron-rich concretions that formed inside deposits soaked with groundwater. However, such concretions were much smaller or absent at the ground surface along much of the rover's trek of more than 5 kilometers (3 miles) southward to Victoria. The big ones showed up again when Opportunity got to the ring, or annulus, of material excavated and thrown outward by the impact that created Victoria Crater. Researchers hypothesize that some layer beneath the surface in Victoria's vicinity was once soaked with water long enough to form the concretions, that the crater-forming impact dispersed some material from that layer, and that Opportunity might encounter that layer in place if the rover drives down into the crater.
Take me down to the paradise city, where the grass is green and the girls are pretty

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-28 00:15:55 |Display all floors

Reply #8 tmphgt's post

Where"s my prize no way I don't want a thing

Use magic tools Report

chairman has been deleted
Post time 2007-1-28 04:20:39 |Display all floors

Martian's.....??????????

Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-28 04:40:30 |Display all floors

Broken Heart

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-28 04:45:35 |Display all floors
Originally posted by broken_heart at 27-1-2007 04:15 PM
Where"s my prize no way I don't want a thing

You didn't read Rule 101, Clauses 11B and C, did you?

Rule 101, Clause 11B
Even in the event of a correct guess, no prizes will ever be awarded to broken_heart, chinese_yang or whampoa.

Rule 101, Clause 11C
Ever

Take me down to the paradise city, where the grass is green and the girls are pretty

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-28 05:04:11 |Display all floors

well that is not nice....

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-28 05:08:17 |Display all floors

The Panda Genie Thread

Sounds like a New Age freeform jazz quartet

Ok, I will relent, broken_down can have 105435 points ... Anyone keeping score, apart from Simba and Thunderbird having 9129109229 points each ...?

Everybody happy now? Good :)

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.