Author: fangxuan

Is heavy fine the solution to tackle environmental pollution? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-1-27 07:34:14 |Display all floors
Heavy fines may be the best method, but there is another way: the state can try to induce firms to improve their envorimental standards, by offering benefits for those who do it. For example a firm which installs 1million rmb worth of Co2 filters at it's factory could get a 1,5million rmb tax break from the government. A combination of heavy fines for the bad guys and attractive advantages for the good ones could be the best solution ("the carrot and the stick").

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-27 09:56:26 |Display all floors
Originally posted by fangxuan at 26-1-2007 06:49
Do you think heavy fine is a viable solution to tackle nation's deteriorating environmental pollution?

But it's far from being heavy - it's a trivial sum of money for these companies. There should be no maximum limit - let the punishment fit the crime (i.e. the amount of damaged caused).

They will only change their ways through fines if their profit margins are hit - fine them up to 20% of their annual profit. That will make people rush to be more environmentally friendly!
"People are the water, the ruler is the boat; water can carry the boat, but it can also capsize it."

-- Li Shimin (2nd Tang Emperor, "Taizong")

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-27 12:38:42 |Display all floors
You guys forget that China is very corrupt, anyone with a large sum of money can bribe an official to "overlook" their finacial inequalities.  First, China needs to deal with corruption before moving to save the environment.
"When I am White, I win because I'm White.  When I'm Black, I win because I am Bogoljubow."

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-27 19:45:56 |Display all floors
Originally posted by middlekingdo at 27-1-2007 04:38
You guys forget that China is very corrupt, anyone with a large sum of money can bribe an official to "overlook" their finacial inequalities.  First, China needs to deal with corruption b ...

I disagree. Corruption will always be there, but more importantly many people die or suffer every year because of pollution. Tackling corruption and pollution must go hand-in-hand. Besides, you wouldn't accuse the Environmental Agency of being corrupt, would you?
"People are the water, the ruler is the boat; water can carry the boat, but it can also capsize it."

-- Li Shimin (2nd Tang Emperor, "Taizong")

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-27 21:10:31 |Display all floors

In the case of Songhuanjiang River pollution

the oil company must be fined 10 billion yuan, or even more!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-28 23:06:52 |Display all floors

Anglo Amerikan propaganda on pollution in China.

Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-1 11:38:24 |Display all floors
that is one of way to tackle nation's deteriorating environmental pollution.
if everyone poeple can do everything on environment by themself, that the pollution can be decreased in everywhere.
that is diathesis on education.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.