Post time 2007-1-26 16:29:43 |Display all floors
Originally posted by holly666 at 2007-1-25 14:56
So, is it right if I translate it into: 这个演讲圆满结束了民主党的努力,把最重要的,最常用的话用在了总统的年度演讲中。

小布什是共和党人,民主党的话怎么可能用在他的讲演里?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-26 16:32:45 |Display all floors
楼主提这类问题时,一定要把上下文举出来,这句话单独地拿出,别人不可能理解它的意思的。

这是我找到的上下文:

In a speech written himself and previewed by senior Democratic officials, Webb, a freshman senator, acknowledged some of Bush's domestic policy proposals. "We in the Democratic Party hope that this administration is serious" about improving education, health care and speeding the recovery of hurricane-ravaged New Orleans, he said.

Webb also challenged Bush to support the House-passed minimum wage increase and nurture an economy that restores the middle class. And he said Democrats would work with Bush to promote energy independence.

But he chose harsher rhetoric for what he framed Bush's abuse of the public's loyalty, trust and welfare in the rush to war.

"The war's costs to our nation have been staggering," he said. "Financially. The damage to our reputation around the world. The lost opportunities to defeat the forces of international terrorism, and especially the precious blood of our citizens who have stepped forward to serve."

Democrats also hammered home a message that achieving bipartisanship must be as much a part of Bush's agenda as proposals on the war, energy independence and health care.

"It will be clear to us whether he's ready to work cooperatively to do that or if he's saying, 'I'm the decider,'" House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said, quoting Bush's famous retort on Iraq.

Webb, whose son is now serving in the military in Iraq, in a suggestion-veiled threat, said Bush should take "the right kind of action, for the benefit of the American people and for the health of our relations around the world."

"If he does, we will join him," Webb said. "If he does not, we will be showing him the way."

The speech capped the Democrats' effort to have the first, most frequent and last words on the president's annual address.
。。。。。。

全文:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2 ... s/main2391965.shtml

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-26 16:37:35 |Display all floors
我理解这句红色的话的意思是,民主党参议员Webb,的这段话,胜过了民主党人的努力,要抓住布什总统年度讲演中最重要的话、最常说的话、最终的结论,(进行抨击)。

我对布什讲演及民主党的反应这些新闻没有关注。因此,我的理解不一定对,供讨论。

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-26 17:04:03 |Display all floors
将 clearwater 的解释和hly2008的版本结合起来,试译为:

这一讲演圆满完成了民主党人的努力,对布什年度讲话中的开始,结束以及出现次数最多的词汇一一做出抨击.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-26 17:56:44 |Display all floors
cap 还有一个意思是:比..略胜一筹
这里可能是指 这个演讲比总统的演讲中被民主党加入内容的要更有力的表明了...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-26 19:55:21 |Display all floors
this is how i interpret this sentence, not quite sure though.

The speech capped the Democrats' effort to have the first, most frequent and last words on the president's annual address.

民主党人努力在总统的年度讲话前施加影响,使总统讨论人们最关心的问题,并最终决定总统的讲话, 这次演讲圆满地完成了这一任务

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-29 13:07:38 |Display all floors

To copchen

I should say thank you. I searched the original article, but I didn't find it, so I gave up my effort. I feel shame for it, but I'm thinking of the translation. Thank you for showing us the original article and giving us a chance to discuss. You are my example.:)

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.