Author: sexlion

Coffee culture VS Tea culture [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-1-19 14:36:38 |Display all floors
One of the big disappointments for me in China is the lack of a real teahouse culture.

I thought that going to drink tea would be like going to the pub in England, that there would be tea places on every street corner.  But it isn't like that.  What tea places there are, are extremely expensive - 80 rmb for a pot of tea is a joke!  That is more than I 'd pay in london!  it's hardly the common culture.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-19 15:07:18 |Display all floors
i like them! feeling to drink different thing.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-19 17:20:30 |Display all floors
i prefer tea,i drink every kind of tea,so does my father.
i think tea is making process helps quiet the heart,esspecially drinking in the summer.
but except for one kind: KuDing (苦丁)Tea ,for it is so bitter to me.

[ Last edited by l_ajing at 2007-1-19 05:23 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-19 17:30:49 |Display all floors
Hi, Renegadedog!

I guess you are just in the wrong place.

I come from Hangzhou and tea house culture is widespread there (No wonder since the best green tea the Longjin Tea comes from there).

There you can find green tea from 5 RMB up till perhaps 100 RMB a cup. And in some middle-range tea houses for as little as 50 RMB you can also enjoy a rich buffet. You can sit there and fill your stomach as long as you want.

Also you can drink tea directly where it is grown, in the tea village not far from the city centre. The tea farmers have transformed their houses into traditional-looking tea houses, and they are situated right in the hills! Many locals and increasingly tourists go there to play cards, chess, etc, or just sit around and do nothing! The farmers also cook for you with vegies from their own backyard. You can imagine how fresh and tasty that is!

If you are in big cities like Beijing, Shanghai or Guangzhou, no wonder people have no time for tea. They are all busy making money!
Der Mensch ist das Loch im Sein - Hegel

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-19 22:34:50 |Display all floors
OK I was in Wuhan before.  Now I am in Dalian.  Neither place has a common teahouse culture with 5 RMB cups of tea as you suggest (which would compare to a 2 quid pint of beer (relative to salaries) in the UK).  Both ahve had a few teahouses, with the swinging chairs, but always so expensive - as i said, 80 rmb and up for a pot of tea!  Not somewhere you can go every day!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-20 09:26:54 |Display all floors

thanks and two questions

Originally posted by alexangel at 2007-1-19 14:28
at work
watching a play
opening letters
during big rain and snow
at a long wine feast with a big party
going through documents
on busy days

hehe...alex...

thanks for list the suitable and unsuitable time for tea...

but have some question?

most of people said it's suitable to drink some tea after long wine, which can make us sober up...

and for the suitable time: most of us think it's so good to drink some coffee for complex thinking...

how do you think?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-20 11:27:15 |Display all floors
puer is more available for healthy purpose, i am now always drink tieguanyin, maybe , puer tea is my next choice

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.