Author: ushership

Are China's university tuition fees reasonable? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-1-17 11:57:18 |Display all floors

too higher tuition for chinese student

i think too higher tuition for chinese family.   when a baby go to scholl,through nursery to university will cost about fifty thousands yuan.  but  what a large number for a chinses common family. if father's salary RMB2500 a month,mother's salary RMB 2500,deduct the fees about water,eletricity,coal gas,and any others.......

where the RMB500,000 from?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-17 12:14:41 |Display all floors
expensive to most of us

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-17 13:27:48 |Display all floors
i have no money

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-17 13:53:07 |Display all floors
really too high tuition for most students from countryside.Our central goverment should come up with feasible measures to mitigate this heavy burden for those parents which are low-paid.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-17 16:45:08 |Display all floors
In fact, it is not a sole problem of the tuition's high level. It is the whole educational systematic rationale displaced.  

The figures in the first post are absolute ones, without considering the changes from free higher education to partial-free to paid university courses over the years, nor did it consider poeple's income growth and the inflation. Therefore, the “25 fold” hike does not tell too much of the truth.

Secondly, in most developed countries, primary education is free but higher education charges a lot. Because higher education brings higher return, if seen as a long-term investment. This propersition holds, even If in China at present it SEEMS it doesn't. We should think what's wrong with our country to make it valid.

Yes, we are not at this point a developed country. But shouldn't we aim high? Alongside the rapid growth of GDP, residents’depositable income and the like, which are reducing distance behind the developed countries, shouldn't we make education a more advanced one as well? To do so, the country needs to focus more on primary education, teach everyone on every corner how to read, wright and count, before proudly annoucing to the world how big a university student pool it has.  

Personally, I don't agree with the ideology to make everyone go to college. There are huge amount of jobs that need workers, brick-layers, repairmen, drivers ... The only result by making everyone a university graduate, is a surplus of highly trained talents, who find it difficulties to get “decent” jobs, and eventually became very unskillful blue-collar works. It is a huge waste of time, energy and even humanity!

Whenever I read reports depicting the "happy" graduates finding jobs as house-keepers, baby-sitters, cleaners, I do not shed the slightest same “happiness”. I am feeling deep, deep sorry for them. Because I see it a ruthless deprivation of the chances for the graduates to fulfill their career ambition, besides a wasting of money spent by the country and the family . Several years later, others may at least get some tangible experience, start to take on more responsibilities, be promoted to higher positions and develop their professional knowledge and skills to higher levels, and the like. While, those who took car-washing jobs have nothing at hand to return to their planned professions. It is just like the Chinese saying: Miss the one step, you will miss every single one afterwards.

However, I admit that the government has no better options when it faced the huge number of early 1980-baby-boom "products" that grew to 18 year olds or so in 1990s. The country had to defer the problems by holding them at schools for four more years. And four years later, it had to do the same thing again  -- by enlarging the number of postgraduate enrollment... But what now? When the postgraudate students also graduate?

It'sa long way to go to adjust the education system and make it a high-investment, high-return "business", in which everyone gets what he wants (from education), at least theoratically. For now, on the things we can do, I believe market-oriented government behaviors, such as preferential commercial loans to students from low-income families, as greendragon said, are better than other formats. Tax should be the last resolve. Because any tax collection results in extra cost from collecting, administration, etc, even if it is “truly” as neutral as claimed.

[ Last edited by zinc06 at 2007-1-17 05:28 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-17 19:48:33 |Display all floors
comparing to our economic situation with japan, Singapore, our tuition fee is higher than our common
citizens could afford, comparing to the quality and consequence we obtained from our eduction constitution, our tuition fee is extremely higher than we should have. so, who can do something to revise this ambiguity, the former deputy member ministry of education - Mr zhang has already addressed loudly and clearly, but what happyned now...sigh

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-17 20:54:58 |Display all floors

The expensive tuition is not the only problem.

The skyroketing schooling makes the education become a kind of bussiness.
The university focus on the revenue instead of the quanlity of the education.
They don't care how their students learn cause they are making great effort to enlarge their scare to make sure they can have much more students.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.