Views: 4863|Replies: 3

Is world climate really changing? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-1-16 11:49:32 |Display all floors
I am not disputing the need for emission control - more for the preservation of natural resources,  for cleaner environment and reduction of acid rain, than for the "yet-to-be-proven" assumption that the present level of C02 around the world is causing temperatures around us to rise.  Mine is a lone voice I know, and I expect that other forumites would jump on me. But I state my observation nevertheless for them to pounce on.

The claim of rising world temperature is, as I understand it, based on record that goes back 150 years. While I do not have figures in Centigrades and Fahrenheits, there are a few stanzasamong our farming community, that goes back to 2100 BC.,which tell the farmers what temperatures to expect during winter, reckoned from 冬至, i.e. Winter Solstice, 22nd December.  This can be found in the  新编万年历 edited by 杨笑and company. It is written in stanzas of seven characters:

一九 、二九不出手; Counting from 22nd December, temperature during the first 9 days plus 9 more after that is so cold, that a person cannot take his hands out  from his sleeves, into which he has put his hands - a normal posture of our farming folks during cold weather. That takes us to 9th January of the following year.
三九、四九冰上走; In the next 18 days, open water freezes over and one is able to walk on ice. That is starting from 10th January to 27th January, lakes and rivers are frozen.

It is of interest to note here that CCTV showed scenes of youngers skating on ice in Beijing on 4th January. This is one indication that weather conditions have not changed or become warmer. It is still in full agreement with the prediction of the folk stanza. Indeed if anything, water froze over some 5 days ahead of time.
五九、六九河边看柳;During the next 18 days, one is able to see sprouting green leaves on the willow tress along the river banks.
七九河开、八九雁来;In the next 9 days, ice start melting, and in the next 9, the wild goose start returning from the South.
九九家一九、遍地耕牛走。In the next 18 days, the farmers start ploughing the field.

Modern electronic communication has broadened what we are able to see. Anything happening anywhere in the world appears on our TV screen and the exceptions that take place from location to location can easily be understood as a common world phenomenon, and backed with 150 years of data. In earlier times, it would have been almost impossible to see shots of melting iceberg falling into the sea.  For a more scientific approach, I think observations from many other angles should also be taken.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-16 12:13:32 |Display all floors

Reply #1 lobsang's post

I really wonder....

but what's this i see about heavier rainfalls all over the world?
if it is not the CO2 emmission, it must the DRAGON KINGs...

ha ha ha

Green Dragon

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-17 18:12:58 |Display all floors

Reply #2 greendragon's post

I could not in my search, find anything recited by our country folks, that predicted patterns of rainfall, or the occurrence of droughts. What this could mean is that changes in rainfall could have been so random, since observations were started since 2100 BC, as to make it impossible for any appropriate stanzas to be written. We do however have records of 大禹治水 and the numerous floods in China since that time - all before people started suspecting CO2 as a possible culprit.
As I said, I am not a proponent of uncontrolled CO2 emission. What I am suggesting is that it is still too early to jump to the conclusion that the activities of us tiny humanbeings,  like burning fuel, are powerful enough to change something as massive as global climate.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-19 11:56:15 |Display all floors

Reply #3 lobsang's post

Having some theory is better than having "none at all".

Green Dragon

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.