Author: chairman

30 million men face bleak future as singles [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-1-12 10:56:54 |Display all floors
Originally posted by hellen1815 at 2007-1-12 10:49

I dont' think sex-selective abortion is the main reason. As in my obervation, most people in the countryside prefer male babies, but seldom of them will pay to check the sex before the kids are bor ...

It was a really big problem a few years back, where a lot of female babies are abandoned at birth. I don't know if that is still going on as much nowadays, but it might be a contributing factor.
*breathe*

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-12 10:59:30 |Display all floors

Wah! China has so many more men to send into a WAR!

This would put fear in China's adversaries!

On the more serious tone.....

It could mean HAVOC for frontier nations, where women of Vietnam, Mongolia, autonomous zones will be in big demand!

In Malaya alone, in just a few years since the first suggestions were made for Malayan chinese man to get married to women of frontier zones, approximately 30,000 Vietnamese women got married to Malayan chinese man! That's amazing....approximately 0.5% of the Chinese population.

There is no shortage of chinese females, but because of better education, financially independent, as many as 1/3 of female chinese remains unmarried.....only a few get married to white people and rich Riau or Indian compatriots.

Green Dragon
Yoda
Lord of the code

-------------------------------------------------------------------
with prosperity, new social problems discovered!!!
keeping bureaucrats and gentleman fully engrossed with the game of life!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-12 11:18:18 |Display all floors
Sex-selective abortion, infanticide, willful neglect of infants... it all still happens. It's mostly in rural areas. In the countryside in places, a baby boy will be rushed to the doctor if he so much as sneezes, but baby girls have to develop persistent fevers or other obvious serious problems before the parents take her to the doctor.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-12 11:43:31 |Display all floors
Originally posted by greendragon at 2007-1-12 10:59
There is no shortage of chinese females, but because of better education, financially independent, as many as 1/3 of female chinese remains unmarried.....only a few get married to white people and rich Riau or Indian compatriots. ...

Uhh? Riau people are so good in business?
师夷长技以制夷

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-12 12:16:31 |Display all floors

Reply #18 northwest's post

Some Riau's are very rich....
Imagine if you run a GLC...or is a minister of state...

Green Dragon

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-12 12:22:49 |Display all floors

Let me think....

...the ex Deputy prime minister, Mr. Musa Hitam has a Chinese mum...
..and our Rt. Hon. Badawi - a Arab-Patani mix breed has a Japanese wife..
..the ex UMNO president challenger, Tengku Razaleigh has a chinese mistress (and he is not married yet)

.....only the Pahang Riau leadership seems to be purely Riau..
..i think one of the Razak Scion married a Fujien Gal from Indonesia Salim family....
...and a rich Mamak, Rahid Hussein married a rich Foochow Mr. Kuok's daughter..

the rich people are very intensely interested in cross breeding!!!!!

ha ha ha

Green Dragon

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-12 12:30:27 |Display all floors

A point of interest

Okay, I had a look at the paper, and there's a graph on there that's not on the website, with the growth in ratios over the last 40 odd years:

1964 - 100 : 106.6
1982 - 100 : 107.2
1989 - 100 : 111.3
2000 - 100 : 116.9
2005 - 100 : 118.6

Also, a point that I didn't notice before is the article says "born". Now, I'm not sure what exactly the ratio represents (i.e. children born, or children survived), so, can someone tell me if the ratio is meant to be "born"- babies born and registered officially on a hukou, or does it represent "survived"- babies born, registered with a hukou and not get that document cancelled because they actually got to grow up?

[ Last edited by heywilma at 2007-1-12 03:04 PM ]
*breathe*

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.