Author: chairman

30 million men face bleak future as singles [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-1-12 10:09:16 |Display all floors

to #6

More male babies than female babies is the result of the one child policy and some/many people still holding outdated ideas that boys are better than girls. If they're going to have only one child, they figure, it might as well be a boy. Plenty of doctors provide illegal ultrasounds and can tell them if the wife is pregnant with a boy or a girl. If it's a girl, they might abort it and try again until they have a boy. It's a huge problem.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-12 10:12:50 |Display all floors
Holy crap. I remember a couple of years ago the ratio was 100 females to 105 males.

Wonder if this is going to contribute to divorce rates.
*breathe*

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-12 10:22:45 |Display all floors
Originally posted by sockmonkey at 2007-1-12 10:09
More male babies than female babies is the result of the one child policy and some/many people still holding outdated ideas that boys are better than girls. If they're going to have only one child, ...

the problem would somewhat be brought under control if a special law are enacted against abortion...!

Use magic tools Report

chairman has been deleted
Post time 2007-1-12 10:29:35 |Display all floors

I am not too sure the problem is what many of you think it is.

Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-12 10:29:50 |Display all floors
Sex-selective abortion is already illegal, but (at least until recently, I think) so are ultrasounds that tell you the baby's gender. For the right amount of money, people will do just about anything.

To heywilma--the global average of females to males is about 100:103 or 104, so 105 wasn't much of an issue (130, though??). I think Mother Nature expects men to die more readily (it's mostly men who fight in wars), so I guess it's compensation.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-12 10:49:44 |Display all floors
I dont' think sex-selective abortion is the main reason. As in my obervation, most people in the countryside prefer male babies, but seldom of them will pay to check the sex before the kids are born. In cities, people have more possiblities to check the kids' sex, but most of them don;t care the kids' sex much, some even prefer girls. For the real reasons, ialso thinking, but until now i don;t figure out.
hi

UL/CSA listed sump&sewage pump supplier

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-12 10:51:11 |Display all floors
maybe it's better for most  young girls stay alone untill 2020 just for a better husband.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.