Views: 5359|Replies: 5

为啥一个“in”, 一个“on” [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-1-11 21:01:07 |Display all floors
in the tree 和on the tree的区别到底是啥?
为啥这里用“in”,那用“on”呢?“Imagine, when the wind blows, not being able to hear the leaves in the trees or watch the branches swing from side to side. Imagine not being able to see the buds on the trees open and turn into colourful blossoms.”in

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-12 07:28:13 |Display all floors

a good catch!

Originally posted by chinamania at 2007-1-11 21:01
为啥这里用“in”,那用“on”呢?“Imagine, when the wind blows, not being able to hear the leaves in the trees or watch the branches swing from side to side. Imagine not being able to see the buds on the trees open and turn into colourful blossoms.”

We can look at the difference between "in & on" in this paragraph In terms of the duration/time of the process or state.

1."in" means during the act or process of, or within the limits, bounds… e.g. in this season, in life, in the long distant racing.

The leaves usually last much longer from spring to autumn. It makes sense to say, "the leaves in the trees"

2. "on" indicates the state or process of, or operating, performing, acting.. e.g. on leave; on fire; on the way, more examples,
Your show was on air last night.
What's on your mind?

You see, the time of processing or operating in these examples is relatively shorter.

It may only take the buds a few hours or days turn into the blooming flowers,  by the same token, "the buds on the trees" makes sense.  

At least, that is the way I look at it. Would that be helpful?

[ Last edited by changzhou007 at 2007-1-12 12:57 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-13 07:07:55 |Display all floors

a pair of examples

Here is a pair of examples to illustrate my point mentioned above.

1. The password is very important. You must keep that in mind.
- The sentence means that you have to remember the password for a long time, months or years.

2. You are looking tired today. What's on your mind?
- the sentence implies that something was bothering you, or making you anxious, usually only for a short time, hours or days.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-13 10:54:40 |Display all floors
is it so ???

sometims i meet the same questions too.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-13 11:09:47 |Display all floors
I think what you explained makes sense.

But when I was in high middle school, the teacher taught us to use " in" when something belongs to the tree,and "on" when something doesn't belong to the tree. But this doesn't make sense to this situation for leaves and buds all belong to tree.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-13 12:22:18 |Display all floors
Originally posted by chinamania at 2007-1-11 21:01
为啥这里用“in”,那用“on”呢?“Imagine, when the wind blows, not being able to hear the leaves in the trees or watch the branches swing from side to side. Imagine not being able to see the buds on the trees open and turn into colourful blossoms.”

Normally one would use either "in" or "on" for leaves, and "on" for buds; "leaves in the trees" indicates the many leaves among branches and trees.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.