Views: 15576|Replies: 34

I am coming to Beijing, What is it like to live in beijing? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-1-10 10:51:23 |Display all floors
Hello,
My name is Shaun, Im from Australia and am coming to beijing for 4 years in the mid feb to study Chinese Medicine, I am interested to know what it is like living in Beijing? Any Tips, how long does it take to learn the language, is it esyy to get food Poisoning, it is expensive, etc

cheers

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-10 22:53:17 |Display all floors

hm.........

welcome to bj.^ ^

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-10 23:13:20 |Display all floors
Have you searched this forum for particular topics you're interested in hearing about? I know I've asked lots of questions in the past, and so have lots of other people who've come to Beijing.

I wish I was here for 4 yrs studying chinese medicine. Or art, actually I'd rather study calligraphy.

If I were you I'd start learning the language now, before you leave. Can you pronounce pinyin properly? At least that would be a big help, then at least you can look things up and say things easier.

expensive? Everyone says how cheap it is to live in china.. Well, Beijing's a big city, and things can be expensive here. It depends on how you want to live. I'm from the US, and if I were to buy all the same products here as I did there, it would cost me almost the same as in the US, because foreign products are expensive here. So is eating at places like TGI Friday's, KFC, even any small 'western' restaurants. You will pay western prices. The cheap stuff will be chinese restaurants, chinese brand toiletries,  foods, etc. I'm spending more than I thought I would on food.

For example, a 1litre container of orange juice can be 8-9rmb if it's 100% real OJ. Or you can get a huge thing of fake orange drink for half that. I choose the real stuff, same with other juices, so I pay more. I don't care that it's a chinese brand or what, as long as it's real juice. If you were to add other western foods like cheese at 16-30rmb, butter, bread, a bunch of veggies and a little snack, that makes it easy to spend 100rmb on a small food shopping trip.

I've been here 4 months (oh my goodness! 4 months!!!ackk!!) and never once had the slightest stomach problem. My son has had several, though nothing requiring a doctor or lasting more than a few days. I don't know what caused his. I've eaten some street food but not a lot, I've eaten in small chinese restaurants that did not exactly look clean, I don't ingest tap water on purpose in large amounts, but I do use it to rinse my mouth after brushing my teeth, I wash food in it but then rinse briefly with filtered water if we'll eat it raw. If I wash out a cup, I might use it immediately even if it's stil wet with tap water. So, I'm not obsessive about it at all, I just don't do anything major with it, and I've been fine.
I am not rich.  :L

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-11 01:01:52 |Display all floors
hmm...
be aware of the traffic when you walk outside.
drivers don't usually give way to pedestrians in China.
Wanna change my avatar...
Why always showing "PRADA"?!!!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-11 11:00:28 |Display all floors

welcome

welcome to beijing ,i think you will like this city very much for its attractive ,hoping ,make friends with you      my msn is  rebecca-gf@163.com

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-11 12:56:56 |Display all floors
Cheers thanks your replies (in particular freakyqi)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-11 20:27:30 |Display all floors
It is quite comofortable living in Beijing if you know how to live.Chinese friends will do you great help!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.