Views: 2711|Replies: 11

Keystone Kops time [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-1-9 17:24:02 |Display all floors
Who knows the meaning of Keystone Kops time? Help me. Many thanks.:)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-9 17:55:58 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-9 18:00:06 |Display all floors
Wikipedia says:
The Keystone Kops was a series of silent film comedies featuring an incompetent group of policemen produced…between 1912 and 1917.

The term has since come to be used to criticize any group for its mistakes, particularly if the mistakes happened after a great deal of energy and activity, or if there was a lack of coordination among the members of the group.
So "Keystone Kops time" might refer to something like "some group of people are now showing how incompetent they are…"

With reference to the Indonesian air disaster:
Crisis management expert Ong Hock Chuan says the misinformation and confusion in the search demonstrates shortcomings in Indonesia's response to disaster.

"When you have public figures making huge fiascoes like this, it just gives the whole country a very bad image," he said.  "It gives the whole world an impression that, you know, Indonesia doesn't have its act together.  It's Keystone Kops time."

[ Last edited by jeff_in_sf at 2007-1-9 02:06 AM ]
KeystoneKops.jpg
中文我不会读也不会写。Really, I don't.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-9 23:43:23 |Display all floors
Excellent picture, Jeff! That matches my mental image of keystone cops perfectly.
P.S., do you think "Kops" is a typo?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-10 02:13:45 |Display all floors
Originally posted by putneyswope at 2007-1-9 07:43 AM
Excellent picture, Jeff! That matches my mental image of keystone cops perfectly.
P.S., do you think "Kops" is a typo?
No, it's not but there's a story to that spelling..

Wikipedia says:
Mack Sennett's Keystone film studio always used the spelling "Cops" (not "Kops") whenever publicizing their films: surviving press releases from the Keystone studio contain phrases such as "another 'Cop' comedy", invariably with the "Cop" spelling, never "Kops". The "Kops" misspelling is a modern error which has now become engrained in the public consciousness. Although Mack Sennett became a hugely successful businessman, throughout his life he was deeply sensitive about his lack of formal education. It is very unlikely that he would have condoned an intentional misspelling of "Cops", out of fear that the public might think Sennett didn't know the proper spelling.
So, even though "Keystone Kops" is misspelled as compared to the original name, it is now so common as to be considered the correct ("korrect" ) spelling.

[size=-2][Edited to correct minor punctuation error.]

[ Last edited by jeff_in_sf at 2007-1-9 05:47 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-10 09:00:04 |Display all floors
jeff ,you are great ,

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-10 10:06:32 |Display all floors
Originally posted by dominictang at 2007-1-9 05:00 PM
jeff ,you are great ,
Thanks, dominictang, that's very nice of you to say so—but, of course, there are a lot of great people here!

Oh, I'm not so sure I agree with Wikipedia's characterization of "Kops" as a "misspelling" (as in "error"). There's an informal convention in English to use a "k" instead of a "c" to connote "zany" or "offbeat" behavior such as in "Krazy Kat" and, of course, "Keystone" begins with "k." So the spelling change was probably intentional.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.